Captain Vickers hails his troops after Wisbech spoil West Norfolk’s party
DEPLETED Wisbech Rugby Club dug deep to spoil the party of fierce rivals West Norfolk on Saturday.
Former England stars Joe Worsley and Paul Sampson and television presenter Kirsty Gallacher were special guests at Gatehouse Lane for West Norfolk’s fun day.
But Wisbech soon sent their neighbours crashing back down to earth with a resounding 21-8 triumph, prompting captain Shane Vickers to label it one of their best performances of the season.
“We spoilt the party and it was beautiful,” said Vickers. “It was a bit of a made-up team but the lads pulled together.
“It was a local derby and all the players who were there were really up for the game. Full credit to everyone who played for us, they gave it their all.”
You may also want to watch:
Vickers opened the scoring with a well-worked try before hooker Nathaniel Humphreys and centre Nigel Hunt also crashed over. Andy Claydon kicked two penalties to ease Wisbech clear.
Debutant Richard Pearson was also impressive for Wisbech, who secured the points despite missing a host of key players.
- 1 Body found in Wisbech road
- 2 ‘High risk’ paedophile had indecent images of children on his phone
- 3 Top Cabinet post for NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay
- 4 Mayor opens Wisbech community hub
- 5 Family remembers 'cheeky, friendly and well-liked' mechanic
- 6 Man confronted in live stream cleared of all sex abuse allegations
- 7 Did you bite your husband's leg? ‘No, he knocked all my teeth out- I could not bite his leg’
- 8 Co-op grocery delivery robots are coming to Cambridgeshire
- 9 Lack of public transport blamed for collapse of £10.5m training centre
- 10 Off-duty detective snares £200k drug dealer
The Harecroft Road outfit will finish the year second in Greene King Eastern Counties Division One, two points behind title rivals Cantabrigians. They return to action on January 7, when they will host Ely.