Cambridge United join fight to sign Wisbech Town star Callum Reed
CAMBRIDGE United have joined a host of clubs battling to secure the signature of talented Wisbech Town star Callum Reed.
Reed, whose first-half penalty helped the Fenmen beat Wroxham 1-0 to win the Ridgeons League Challenge Cup Final last week, has drawn admiring glances from clubs across the non-league ladder since joining Steve Appleby’s side last November.
The 20-year-old midfielder confirmed he has been invited to train with the U’s during pre-season.
Appleby said: “I’d be banging my head against a brick wall trying to fight all these clubs off Callum.
“We agreed he’d only leave for a bigger club and this is a good chance for him. I’d never step in anybody’s way if a Blue Square Premier side comes calling, the lure is too much, and I hope he does well.
You may also want to watch:
“If it doesn’t work out we’d like to think he’d come back but we were lucky to have a player like Callum for six months anyway.”
Reed turned down an official approach from King’s Lynn Town in February.
- 1 Solicitor firm embraces legal sector apprenticeship scheme
- 2 Woman killed and four hospitalised after crash
- 3 Hare coursers handed Criminal Behaviour Orders
- 4 Baby abuse among paedophile’s 290,000 indecent images of children
- 5 Majority of councillors refuse to object to Wisbech incinerator - for now
- 6 Drug dealer who led class A drugs line caught in police sting
- 7 Pair questioned amid probe into catalytic converter thefts
- 8 Men caught with cannabis at village park
- 9 Community orchard to launch next month
- 10 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub