Busy holiday period for Fenland Running Club
DESPITE the freezing conditions and snow and ice bound tracks, Fenland Running Club have enjoyed a busy holiday period with club runs and attendance at local races. First off was the now traditional Boxing Day run from River Road with some members doing
DESPITE the freezing conditions and snow and ice bound tracks, Fenland Running Club have enjoyed a busy holiday period with club runs and attendance at local races. First off was the now traditional Boxing Day run from River Road with some members doing more than 10 miles around the Fenland 10 route, and others opting for a shorter 7.8 mile distance which proved the surer under foot of the two routes.
Another outing the following day to run nine miles around Sandringham roads was well attended and the die-hards also went out on the day after that for another Club run.
New Year's Eve saw a total of 19 Fenland Running Club members tackle the popular Ely Runners 10K which attracted 500 finishers on the day.
First man home for Fenland, in 41st place overall was Andre Pittock with a personal best time of 40.12.
You may also want to watch:
First lady home for Fenland was Maire Irlam, who also set a PB, finishing in 44.07. Melanie Murdoch recorded a PB of 50.19 and Sue George and Colin Simpson, running in fancy dress as the 'men in moustaches' finished simultaneously in 51.16.
There was a fiercely contested finish between Roger Williams and Cheryl Chapman which, although Cheryl set herself a PB, ended in Roger just winning by two seconds.
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 4 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 5 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 8 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 9 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
Fenland Running Club results at the Ely Runners' New Year's Eve 10k: Men: Andre Pittock, 40.12(PB); Tim Chapman, 40.45; Richard Hammond, 41.23; Richard Dix, 42.45; Keith White, 44.11; Ian Milburn, 45.25; Colin Simpson, 51.16; Roger Williams, 51.32; Richard Williams, 51.32; Dave Harris, 53.30; Roger Kay, 1.00.25; Simon Holmes, 1.06.58.
Ladies: Maire Irlam, 44.07(PB); Sarah Gauvin, 47.36; Melanie Murdoch, 50.19(PB); Sue George, 51.16; Cheryl Chapman, 51.34(PB); Michelle Gilbert, 52.04; Jane Greenwood, 53.36.