Bowlers shine as Wisbech beat Downham Town in first pre-season game
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town’s young bowlers hit their straps straight away as they ran through the Downham Town batting line-up in the club’s first run out of the season.
Paul Edgeller, Will Gowler and Jamie Gollands shared eight wickets as Downham were dismissed for 103, giving Wisbech a 72 run win at Harecroft Road.
Wisbech laboured to 175-9 off their 45 overs. New captain Gary Freear top scored with 58 not out, while Josh Bowers made 52.
But the modest total proved far too great for the visitors. Edgeller, who has joined from Long Sutton, impressed on debut with 3-19, while 13 year-old Gowler picked up 3-18 and Gollands snaffled two wickets for just four runs. Fifteen year-old Harry Drew conceded a meagre three runs in five overs.
Freear said: “It was a very young bowling side - only two of them are likely to be in contention for a first team place - so it was very promising.”
You may also want to watch:
Freear, who has replaced Alan Burton in the hotseat, has his sights firmly set on the Tucker Gardner League trophy his side won in 2013.
He said: “Last year we were a bit complacent. The target this year is to win the league.”
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 4 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
Wisbech have been boosted by the arrival of off-spinner Tom Meyrick from Canterbury in New Zealand.
Freear said: “He has played for Canterbury A, which is the level below first class cricket.
“He’s an off-spinner who can bat - a good acquisition.”