CRICKET: Brilliant Bowers inspires Wisbech to high-scoring success against Histon with first Saturday summer century
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town collected their best result of the Cambs & Hunts Premier League season last Saturday – and it was inspired by the best innings.
The local side saw off Histon by seven wickets in a high-scoring Harecroft Road clash which featured their first century of the summer.
Josh Bowers was the man to deliver it, hitting 111 off 109 balls, as Wisbech eased past the visitors’ posting of 239-8 with seven-and-a-half overs to spare.
Bowers starred in a 182-run partnership with captain Gary Freear, who himself made 86, for the second wicket.
Young seamer Will Gowler was most successful Wisbech bowler with 3-65 while Kieran Haynes bagged 2-35.
You may also want to watch:
“It felt like we were back to performing at the level we have done in the last couple of seasons,” said Freear. “The confidence seems to have returned and we’re scoring runs again.
“It’s nice to see Josh get our first century of the season, but we should have had two to be honest.
- 1 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 4 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
“Josh hit one back that the bowler got a fingertip on and I got given run out while attempting to back up. It was disappointing on a personal level but I’m happy enough to see us win so convincingly.”
Wisbech face a tough test this Saturday at leaders Saffron Walden, 12.30pm.
Wisbech stepped up their Rutland League title defence last Sunday with a third successive Division One victory.
They slammed Peterborough Town by 226 runs during a Harecroft Road rout which saw the visiting team dismissed for just 56 after Wisbech had piled up 282-5.
Opener Danny Haynes, who fell four runs short of a century, and Wian Pretorius (61) were the star Wisbech performers with the bat before seamer Brodie Ellis bagged 5-11 from the three overs with the ball. The entire Peterborough Town innings lasted just 12.1 overs.
Wisbech host struggling Oundle this Sunday, 1pm.