Athlete from Tydd St Giles aiming to make Cambs county squad next season
TALENTED athlete Jamie Horne is hoping to make the Cambs county squad next season after reflecting on a successful campaign.
Horne, a 13-year-old from Tydd St Giles, won 11 out of the 12 high jump competitions that he competed in for Peterborough Athletics Club and picked up gold in his age category at the Peterborough Games at the end of August.
The Wisbech Grammar School pupil set a new personal best of 1.55m and also improved immensely in 100m and 200m sprint categories.
He said: “I think I’m better and more talented at high jump than sprinting because I find it a bit easier to do but I enjoy both.
“My highlight of the season was setting my personal best of 1.55m at Chelmsford but I’ve been delighted with how I’ve performed all year.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m looking to jump higher next season and will have to work hard in winter training with my coach Paul Merrell. I’d love to break into the county team next year for the Under-15s.”
- 1 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 2 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 3 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 4 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 5 Boy, 16, found with screwdriver in town park
- 6 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 7 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 8 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 9 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 10 'I hit brick walls' says guardian fighting for child mental health support