Athlete from Tydd St Giles aiming to make Cambs county squad next season
TALENTED athlete Jamie Horne is hoping to make the Cambs county squad next season after reflecting on a successful campaign.
Horne, a 13-year-old from Tydd St Giles, won 11 out of the 12 high jump competitions that he competed in for Peterborough Athletics Club and picked up gold in his age category at the Peterborough Games at the end of August.
The Wisbech Grammar School pupil set a new personal best of 1.55m and also improved immensely in 100m and 200m sprint categories.
He said: “I think I’m better and more talented at high jump than sprinting because I find it a bit easier to do but I enjoy both.
“My highlight of the season was setting my personal best of 1.55m at Chelmsford but I’ve been delighted with how I’ve performed all year.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m looking to jump higher next season and will have to work hard in winter training with my coach Paul Merrell. I’d love to break into the county team next year for the Under-15s.”
- 1 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 2 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 3 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 4 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 5 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 6 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 7 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 8 Hospitals temporarily reintroduce restrictions for visitors
- 9 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 10 Fens crime gang ‘boss’ jailed