Appleby hails Wisbech Town’s promotion-chasing position despite third consecutive loss
FENMEN boss Steve Appleby has hailed the strong position held by Wisbech Town despite watching his side suffer three defeats in a week.
After a league cup loss to Norwich United derailed their nine-game winning run, the Fenmen were pipped 1-0 by Ridgeons Premier Division promotion rivals Brantham Athletic on Saturday.
Chris Bacon’s goal failed to prevent a 3-1 defeat to CRC last night - but Appleby insisted that Wisbech, who have announced they will apply for promotion, are still in good shape.
“Football can turn on you very quickly,” he said. “Against Brantham we were the better side but we didn’t get what we deserved.
“We didn’t play well against CRC and I’m not a happy bunny about a few things on the pitch and with some of the officiating.
You may also want to watch:
“But let’s remember we’re in fourth place and still in the Vase. For some teams their seasons are already over - that’s not the case for us.
“When I first came to the club it was about consolidating. Now, in almost two years we’ve won silverware and we’re up there challenging.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 5 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 8 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 9 Boy, 15, arrested amid crackdown on deliberate fires
Wisbech will be without Matt Lunn for their FA Vase Third Round clash at Witham Town on Saturday - the winners of which will net �1,500.
Appleby said: “They are a free-scoring side who are strong and physical so we will have to stand up and be counted. But I’m sure they will be as worried about us.”
Former manager Dick Creasey stepped down as a director at Wisbech’s AGM on Monday. Steve Crown and John Keith were elected to the board.