Appleby hails Wisbech Town’s promotion-chasing position despite third consecutive loss
FENMEN boss Steve Appleby has hailed the strong position held by Wisbech Town despite watching his side suffer three defeats in a week.
After a league cup loss to Norwich United derailed their nine-game winning run, the Fenmen were pipped 1-0 by Ridgeons Premier Division promotion rivals Brantham Athletic on Saturday.
Chris Bacon’s goal failed to prevent a 3-1 defeat to CRC last night - but Appleby insisted that Wisbech, who have announced they will apply for promotion, are still in good shape.
“Football can turn on you very quickly,” he said. “Against Brantham we were the better side but we didn’t get what we deserved.
“We didn’t play well against CRC and I’m not a happy bunny about a few things on the pitch and with some of the officiating.
You may also want to watch:
“But let’s remember we’re in fourth place and still in the Vase. For some teams their seasons are already over - that’s not the case for us.
“When I first came to the club it was about consolidating. Now, in almost two years we’ve won silverware and we’re up there challenging.”
- 1 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
- 2 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer
- 3 County cops issue more than 60 Covid fines since beginning of 2021
- 4 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 5 Town council says market is operating safely and within Covid-19 guidelines
- 6 Council tax frozen after eventful but non event year
- 7 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 8 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 9 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
Wisbech will be without Matt Lunn for their FA Vase Third Round clash at Witham Town on Saturday - the winners of which will net �1,500.
Appleby said: “They are a free-scoring side who are strong and physical so we will have to stand up and be counted. But I’m sure they will be as worried about us.”
Former manager Dick Creasey stepped down as a director at Wisbech’s AGM on Monday. Steve Crown and John Keith were elected to the board.