The Men in Reds' RFU Papa Johns cup run was put to an end on Saturday when they were beaten 43-19 by Peterborough Lions at Harecroft Road. 

Injury troubles and unavailability issues created a selection dilemma for Veenendaal, who fielded a side which included several players he hopes will be featuring more prominently next season.

The Lions who compete in Regional 2 East Midlands, the league above Wisbech did not have it all their own way and where made to work for their win.

It took 25 minutes for the first points to be scored when Lions managed to score a unconverted try to take a 5-0 lead.

Wisbech then found their feet ran through the phases in the Lions half. 

Interplay between Gerhard Wessels and wing Luca Hardy allowed them break down the right hand side, Wessels was stopped a meter from the try line but managed to offload to James Napier who beat a defender to score.

Wisbech Standard: Luke Hardy on the attack.Luke Hardy on the attack. (Image: Andy Titmuss)

Jack Malkin converted to put the Men in Red ahead 7-5.

Lions responded with two tries of their own to make it 17-7 in favour of the visitors, the Men in Red had it all to do in the second half going into the half time break.

But Lions picked up where they left off, scoring two converted tries in twenty minutes to establish a commanding position over Wisbech, who were desperately trying to find their way back into the game.

Trailing 29-7, Wisbech found a glimmer of hope through Henry Lankfer, who rounded off an offload from Ari Baghdouyan to score a try.

Lions once again found themselves over the whitewash, a mistake in the back saw Lions hack it through to score the easiest of tries.

Minutes later Wisbech fended off trouble in their own half own when wing Luca Hardy made a try-saving tackle.

But the Men in Red were not going down without a fight. A Wisbech turnover inside the Lions 22 resulted in a penalty, Jack Malkin with the quick tap and go found the unstoppable force Luke Green who powered his way over. 

Lions once again found themselves over the whitewash with five minutes to play. The blow proved to be a fatal one for Wisbech’s chances and the game ended 43-19. 

The Men in Red put in a valiant performance with Luca Hardy and Jake Smith sharing the man-of-the-match award.