The Men in Red were handed a heavy league defeat on Saturday when they were beaten 43-12 by Ipswich at Harecroft Road

The Wisbech side struggled to cope with Ipswich who had been relegated from the league above, the visitor’s dominance throughout the match, with two tries the only highlight for the Wisbech home side.

Injury troubles and unavailability continues to present a selection dilemma for Director of Rugby Leonard Veenendaal, who once again had to dig deep in the player resources to fulfil the league match.

Wisbech Standard: Second row MJ Wright powers his way over the try line Second row MJ Wright powers his way over the try line (Image: Andy Titmuss)

Ipswich took an early lead 5-0 with an unconverted try, Wisbech responded well easing their way into the flow of the game but ultimately succumbed to the oncoming Ipswich storm.

Two converted Ipswich penalties stretch the visitors lead to 11-0.

The Men in Red responded with a try of their own with second row MJ Wright powering his way over line to reduce the deficit to 11-5.

Another converted Ipswich penalty signalled a barrage of pressure from the visitors before scoring a further three tries before half time, Wisbech had it all to do in the second half.

Wisbech Standard: Charlie Talmage was a threat throughout the match.Charlie Talmage was a threat throughout the match. (Image: Andy Titmuss)

But Ipswich picked up where they left off, scoring another converted try in twenty minutes to establish a commanding position over Wisbech, who were desperately trying to find their way back into the game.

Trailing 35-5, Wisbech found a glimmer of hope through replacement winger Luca Hardy.

Hardy had been on the field lest than four minutes rounded off an offload from centre Jiko to score a try in the corner. Sam Anderson converted but it was the last time Wisbech registered points that afternoon.

Wisbech Standard: Winger Luca Hardy rounding the Ipswich defence before scoring.Winger Luca Hardy rounding the Ipswich defence before scoring. (Image: Andy Titmuss)

Ipswich once again found themselves over the whitewash with five minutes to play. The blow proved to be a fatal one for Wisbech’s chances and the game ended 43-12.

Wisbech with an ever growing injury list will have the daunting task of traveling to Ipswich on Saturday for the return league fixture.