Youth centre revamp unveiled
PLANS for a major revamp of a Wisbech community centre were this week unveiled to the public. A £110,000 grant has been secured for the first of a three-phase development for the Queen Mary Centre, in Queen s Road. Youth worker Dan Keen said: The aim is
PLANS for a major revamp of a Wisbech community centre were this week unveiled to the public.
A £110,000 grant has been secured for the first of a three-phase development for the Queen Mary Centre, in Queen's Road.
Youth worker Dan Keen said: "The aim is to have a dedicated youth space in Wisbech for youngsters with leisure and IT facilities, offices and a kitchen.
"At the moment, we only run a youth club once a week but with these improvements the community centre will, hopefully, open every night."
You may also want to watch:
In the first phase, the centre's gym will be improved and walls knocked down for an open plan IT centre and kitchen. This will be funded by cash from Youth Bank UK.
The second phase will provide new offices for Wisbech youth workers and more IT services. A walkway linking the project will complete the development.
- 1 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 2 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 3 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 4 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 7 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 8 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 9 'Police repeatedly failed me' over noisy neighbour saga, claims resident
- 10 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
"The kids are really excited about what's planned for the centre," said Mr Keen, "especially as there were more up-to-date services available for them in Wisbech."
The full plans are on display in the reception of the Queen Mary Centre.
And teenagers and youth workers could be packing your shopping at Tesco's in Wisbech tomorrow (Saturday) between 10am and 2pm to raise funds for the new Queen Mary Centre facilities.
# Ricky Squire, Ian Mattless and Daniel Keen are pictured with copies of renovation sketches. 2499