Youth centre revamp unveiled
PLANS for a major revamp of a Wisbech community centre were this week unveiled to the public. A £110,000 grant has been secured for the first of a three-phase development for the Queen Mary Centre, in Queen s Road. Youth worker Dan Keen said: The aim is
PLANS for a major revamp of a Wisbech community centre were this week unveiled to the public.
A £110,000 grant has been secured for the first of a three-phase development for the Queen Mary Centre, in Queen's Road.
Youth worker Dan Keen said: "The aim is to have a dedicated youth space in Wisbech for youngsters with leisure and IT facilities, offices and a kitchen.
"At the moment, we only run a youth club once a week but with these improvements the community centre will, hopefully, open every night."
You may also want to watch:
In the first phase, the centre's gym will be improved and walls knocked down for an open plan IT centre and kitchen. This will be funded by cash from Youth Bank UK.
The second phase will provide new offices for Wisbech youth workers and more IT services. A walkway linking the project will complete the development.
- 1 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 2 Pub car park approved despite 13 residents' noise concerns
- 3 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 4 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
- 5 Pub demolition decision deferred
- 6 MP and mayor meet businesses in incinerator fight
- 7 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 8 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 9 Councillors praised for 'tireless' illegal encampment work
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
"The kids are really excited about what's planned for the centre," said Mr Keen, "especially as there were more up-to-date services available for them in Wisbech."
The full plans are on display in the reception of the Queen Mary Centre.
And teenagers and youth workers could be packing your shopping at Tesco's in Wisbech tomorrow (Saturday) between 10am and 2pm to raise funds for the new Queen Mary Centre facilities.
# Ricky Squire, Ian Mattless and Daniel Keen are pictured with copies of renovation sketches. 2499