Youngsters clean rundown Wisbech skate park and discuss potential improvements
YOUNGSTERS turned out in force to smarten up their rundown skate park.
About 45 young people took part in a big clean-up day organised by Fenland District Council and Cambridgeshire County Council at the park in Bath Road, Wisbech.
They repainted all the equipment and cleared up any litter surrounding it. Some had come along the previous day to do some preliminary sanding down.
At the end of the day they met five Fenland councillors – Peter Murphy, Kit Owen, David Oliver and Virginia and Michael Bucknor - to discuss possible future improvements to the park.
Cllr Murphy, the council’s portfolio holder responsible for open spaces, said: “The youngsters have done a really good job - it all looks a lot better again now. They also asked whether they could have some more equipment there.
You may also want to watch:
“We told them that money was very tight and that they really needed to do some fundraising themselves. They came up with various suggestions for that, including a sponsored bike ride. We also looked at the possibility of doing something in the field nearby.”
The idea for the clean-up had come from the young people themselves. FDC had carried out some repairs to equipment before the repainting.
- 1 Election shock: Tories lose overall control of Cambridgeshire County Council
- 2 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 3 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 4 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 5 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 6 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 7 Tories retain Octavia Hill ward in by election
- 8 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 9 Voters 'given a clear indication that they wish for us to try and run the council'
- 10 Three derelict cottages sell in auction for £122,000