Youngsters clean rundown Wisbech skate park and discuss potential improvements
YOUNGSTERS turned out in force to smarten up their rundown skate park.
About 45 young people took part in a big clean-up day organised by Fenland District Council and Cambridgeshire County Council at the park in Bath Road, Wisbech.
They repainted all the equipment and cleared up any litter surrounding it. Some had come along the previous day to do some preliminary sanding down.
At the end of the day they met five Fenland councillors – Peter Murphy, Kit Owen, David Oliver and Virginia and Michael Bucknor - to discuss possible future improvements to the park.
Cllr Murphy, the council’s portfolio holder responsible for open spaces, said: “The youngsters have done a really good job - it all looks a lot better again now. They also asked whether they could have some more equipment there.
You may also want to watch:
“We told them that money was very tight and that they really needed to do some fundraising themselves. They came up with various suggestions for that, including a sponsored bike ride. We also looked at the possibility of doing something in the field nearby.”
The idea for the clean-up had come from the young people themselves. FDC had carried out some repairs to equipment before the repainting.
- 1 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 2 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 3 Body found in Wisbech road
- 4 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 5 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 6 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 7 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 8 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 9 Latest phase of Wisbech to Upwell Tram Memorial unveiled
- 10 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm