Youngsters clean rundown Wisbech skate park and discuss potential improvements
YOUNGSTERS turned out in force to smarten up their rundown skate park.
About 45 young people took part in a big clean-up day organised by Fenland District Council and Cambridgeshire County Council at the park in Bath Road, Wisbech.
They repainted all the equipment and cleared up any litter surrounding it. Some had come along the previous day to do some preliminary sanding down.
At the end of the day they met five Fenland councillors – Peter Murphy, Kit Owen, David Oliver and Virginia and Michael Bucknor - to discuss possible future improvements to the park.
Cllr Murphy, the council’s portfolio holder responsible for open spaces, said: “The youngsters have done a really good job - it all looks a lot better again now. They also asked whether they could have some more equipment there.
You may also want to watch:
“We told them that money was very tight and that they really needed to do some fundraising themselves. They came up with various suggestions for that, including a sponsored bike ride. We also looked at the possibility of doing something in the field nearby.”
The idea for the clean-up had come from the young people themselves. FDC had carried out some repairs to equipment before the repainting.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 The Chase contestant from Cambs labelled ‘most stunning’ in show’s history
- 3 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 4 Fit of the Fens challenge to raise cash for the homeless
- 5 'Chopper was a hard worker and put himself about' - tribute to ex-Fenmen star
- 6 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 7 'Eccentric traveller' to ride Penny-Farthing from London to Paris
- 8 Clean, green and affordable: choose market leader Nissan to start your electric motoring journey
- 9 Council chief executive accused of 'indifference' over Covid-19 response
- 10 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county