Youngsters celebrate success at National Citizen Service graduation
- Credit: Archant
More than 250 young people graduated the National Citizen Service (NCS) at a prestigious ceremony held at the King’s Lynn Corn Exchange on Saturday 10 October.
The NCS programme is a national scheme, delivered locally by the College of West Anglia, King’s Lynn, during school holidays throughout the year.
The course, which is backed by the government, is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that helps young people build skills for work and life, while taking on new challenges and meeting new friends.
The activities the students took part in are designed to develop self-confidence, improve interpersonal skills and learn about the community through social action projects.
Students also arrange fundraising events for local charities. This year, 15 charities were supported over the summer programme, raising over £10,000 and contributing nearly 8000 volunteering hours.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Gedge, Head of Faculty for Public Services at the college said: “The graduation is a great occasion for the youngsters to celebrate their success on the programme, which for many of the participants meant stepping outside of their comfort zone to achieve their goals.”
The NCS programme is open to all 16 and 17-year-olds and will develop confidence, social and life skills, leadership and communication and help prepare them for life after school or college. At the end of the course graduates receive a certificate endorsed by Prime Minister, David Cameron.
- 1 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 2 Councillor wants flats plan binned
- 3 Body of missing Wisbech man found in Norfolk
- 4 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 5 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 6 60 care home residents and staff vaccinated
- 7 Man, 21, with 15,000 indecent images and videos plus 'paedophile manual' spared jail
- 8 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 9 Spat at police officer tests positive for Covid-19
- 10 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home
The next NCS CWA wave is going out for a week from October 24, spending two nights at Mepal outdoor centre and the remainder of the week at the College of West Anglia. Future waves will also be going out in February half term and Easter, with a further three waves going out in the summer holidays.