Young street dancers from Wisbech taste success at world event in Blackpool
STREET dancers from Wisbech tasted great success at a world dance championships in Blackpool despite being younger than the majority of other competitors.
Poppy Gill, 6, and Dolcie Simmons, 7, finished runners-up with their respective partners in doubles events at the UDO World Street Dance Championships which saw 6,000 dancers compete.
Poppy and her partner, Cara Hockton, picked up second place in the Under-10s category while Dolcie and Ella Harvey saw success for Alison’s Street Dance Elite Team in the Under-8s age-range.
Poppy’s mum, Lisa, said: “It’s a remarkable and amazing success as we all really went there for the experience.
“It’s a huge event and they were some of the youngest to compete. To come away being known as some of the best dancers in the world at such an age is phenomenal.
You may also want to watch:
“Poppy came second in the doubles event despite being four years younger than the other dancers and we’re incredibly proud of her. Everyone who competed for the team coped so brilliantly with the pressure.”
Four-year-old, Bonita Simmons, came fourth in the Under-6 solo event and was another member, who practices at St Peter’s School in Wisbech, to exceed expectations.
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 3 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 4 Octavia Hill’s Birthplace House gets share of £1.57billion fund
- 5 Stronger bonds can be key to success, believes Fenmen boss
- 6 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 7 ‘Numerous’ number plate thefts reported to police across region
- 8 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 9 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 10 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
Other elite team members from Alison’s Street Dance Club, which is run by Alison McLatchie, also competed in solo, doubles and team events.
The club holds classes in King’s Lynn, Downham Market and Wisbech.
For more details visit www.alisonsstreetdanceclub.com