Young street dancers from Wisbech taste success at world event in Blackpool
STREET dancers from Wisbech tasted great success at a world dance championships in Blackpool despite being younger than the majority of other competitors.
Poppy Gill, 6, and Dolcie Simmons, 7, finished runners-up with their respective partners in doubles events at the UDO World Street Dance Championships which saw 6,000 dancers compete.
Poppy and her partner, Cara Hockton, picked up second place in the Under-10s category while Dolcie and Ella Harvey saw success for Alison’s Street Dance Elite Team in the Under-8s age-range.
Poppy’s mum, Lisa, said: “It’s a remarkable and amazing success as we all really went there for the experience.
“It’s a huge event and they were some of the youngest to compete. To come away being known as some of the best dancers in the world at such an age is phenomenal.
You may also want to watch:
“Poppy came second in the doubles event despite being four years younger than the other dancers and we’re incredibly proud of her. Everyone who competed for the team coped so brilliantly with the pressure.”
Four-year-old, Bonita Simmons, came fourth in the Under-6 solo event and was another member, who practices at St Peter’s School in Wisbech, to exceed expectations.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 4 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 5 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 8 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
Other elite team members from Alison’s Street Dance Club, which is run by Alison McLatchie, also competed in solo, doubles and team events.
The club holds classes in King’s Lynn, Downham Market and Wisbech.
For more details visit www.alisonsstreetdanceclub.com