Young leukaemia sufferer set for dream holiday after Wisbech unites to raise �3,000
TEACHERS, students and businesses have united to raise almost �3,000 to send a young leukaemia sufferer on the holiday of a lifetime.
Shannon Foster, a Year 7 pupil at Thomas Clarkson Community College, in Wisbech, is set for a memorable summer thanks to months of fundraising in the town.
Donna Oldfield, deputy head of the King Learning Community at Thomas Clarkson, led the school’s efforts with a host of events.
Cake sales, bingo nights and a sponsored pool match held by science teacher Chris Morris helped them raise a staggering �1,820.
Thomas Clarkson student Elli Hayward-Love, who was nominated for this year’s Kids Are Alright Challenge, held a 10-hour pool marathon to boost funds and Wisbech businesses Premier Choice, Asda and Fenmarc Produce also donated.
You may also want to watch:
Staff at construction company Kier Eastern ran a ‘bonus ball raffle’ - donating �5 a week to the brave youngster’s holiday fund.
Sharen Hughes and Richard Culy led the fundraising at Kier, which alongside donations from Acrabuild, MAKE, Armac Demolition, Imtech Aqua, KLH, McDaid and Roskel, totalled �1,030.
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 3 Stronger bonds can be key to success, believes Fenmen boss
- 4 Octavia Hill’s Birthplace House gets share of £1.57billion fund
- 5 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 6 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 7 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 8 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 9 ‘Numerous’ number plate thefts reported to police across region
- 10 Ladies mark return from lockdown with eight-goal thriller
The stunning effort was sealed by travel agents Thomas Cook, in Wisbech, who have offered a generous discount off the total cost of the holiday.
Shannon - who receives intensive treatment for leukaemia - will enjoy her chosen dream destination alongside her family.