SPEED SKATING: Wisbech’s Mike McInerney competes in final event of World Roller Games in sunny Barcelona, Spain
- Credit: Diccon Scrivens
A speed skater from the Fens represented Great Britain at the weekend as they competed in the final event of the World Roller Games in sunny Spain.
Mike McInerney of the Wisbech Inline Speed Skaters battled it out against 341 others in the marathon race event which took place in the streets of Barcelona.
Joining the 13-strong Great Britain team, McInerney sprinted to the finish line in a time of 1 hour and 8 minutes and finished in fifth place in the Masters category.
The result means that Mike holds the highest finishing position in a single race for the GB team, just shy of the podium; six minutes behind the Masters winner.
The result also sees Mike obtain a PB over his marathon result from last year at the British Marathon Championships, which was completed in a time of 1 hour and 13 minutes.
You may also want to watch:
Fifty skaters in the Open category finished within a minute of eventual race winner Beddiaf Nolan from France, who completed the race in a time of 1hour and 55 seconds.
"Thanks for everyone's support and help in getting me fit," Mike said after the team were full of praise and congratulations for the veteran skater at the end of the race.
- 1 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 7 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 8 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 9 Take 10 initiative leaves students ‘buzzing’ about literacy
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
He now leads the team into the Outdoor British Championships this weekend at Tatem Park in Enfield.
Race reporting: Jo Tidman