Wisbech road worker dies after being involved in crash involving road sweeper truck in Surrey
- Credit: Archant
A man from Wisbech was killed in a crash involving a road sweeper truck in Egham, Surrey.
Daniel Gooch died at 00.50 am on June 1 at the Runnymede roundabout as he was working on widening and resurfacing work. The roundabout has been described as one of Surrey’s ‘worst traffic blackspots’
Mr Gooch’s death is being investigated by the Health and Safety Executive.
A road worker has been killed in a crash involving a road sweeper truck.
Surrey County Council’s main contractor, Buckingham Group told the BBC: ‘’It is with huge regret that we must confirm that a fatal accident took place during a night-shift at our Runnymede roundabout project.”
You may also want to watch:
It said its primary concern was “the welfare and interests of the deceased person’s family and all work colleagues involved”.
Surrey Police said it was not treating the death as suspicious.
- 1 Three stores evacuated after suspect 'bomb scare'
- 2 Body found in Wisbech road
- 3 It's a family affair as planners consider five luxury homes
- 4 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 5 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 6 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 7 Crash driver four and a half times over drink drive limit
- 8 Mum of four sought by police over child neglect claims
- 9 Victim of ‘joke’ that backfired left paralysed
- 10 Hares hit five, Wisbech win, Whittlesey victorious as Drove triumph
In a statement police said officers, and paramedics from the ambulance service, were called at around 12.50am to reports that a man, who has now been named as Daniel Gooch, 40, from Wisbech had been injured in a collision with plant machinery at the site.
“Sadly, Daniel passed away at the scene,” said a police spokesman.
In tribute to Daniel, his family have issued the following tribute:
“We cannot begin to describe our devastation, following the loss of Daniel.
“Daniel is our adored son, father, partner, brother, uncle and friend. He will be forever loved and missed by us all. The messages of love, sympathy and condolence have meant so very much to us.
“In the weeks and months to follow, we hope to understand what circumstances preceded the accident that lead to Daniel losing his life.”
“We would now like to request that our privacy is respected as we come to terms with his premature death.”