Woman left 'terrified' after spitting assault
- Credit: Supplied
A female local government worker has been left shaken and terrified after being spat at by two men in Ely today.
The 24-year-old woman was walking from a car park through Cherry Hill when the incident happened.
A colleague said the victim “was obviously in shock and cried for a time – who wouldn’t?”
Police are visiting the office of the Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority to speak to the victim.
Staff there believe it was a random attack and not related to the fact the victim works there.
You may also want to watch:
The colleague said the woman “was in pieces when she arrived for work.
“She was walking through Cherry Hill when she noticed two young guys were walking behind her.
- 1 Customers report summerhouse builder to fraud investigators
- 2 Pub closes as owners decide not to sell
- 3 Medieval pottery unearthed at Cambs campsite
- 4 MP and mayor meet businesses in incinerator fight
- 5 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 6 Work starts on £3.16m apprenticeship training school
- 7 Yard sale raises over £1,400 from second annual event
- 8 Magic show set to go Wrong on stage at Cambridge Arts Theatre
- 9 Power boats thrill crowds at river races
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
“She couldn’t catch what they were saying and just carried on. Suddenly one of them walked up and spat at her.”
The colleague added: “Luckily it all went behind her but came over her neck and covered her back pack she had on.
“It was very lucky it was not in front of her – but still absolutely terrifying in these days of Covid and precautions that need to be taken.”
A spokesperson for Mayor Dr Nik Johnson said the victim was having a cup of tea and trying to recover.
“This happened at 8.40am and not what you would expect at any time.”
The spokesperson believes it was random and not targeted at the mayor’s office.
However, the spokesperson said the office had on occasions been on the receiving end of “dog poo being pushed through the letter box”.
Police will be looking at a video the victim managed to snatch of her assailants before she fled to the safety of her office.