Woman died of multiple injuries in collision on the A47 at Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
An inquest has been opened into the death of a pedestrian who was killed in a collision on the A47 at Wisbech.
Anita Raikstina, 48, of no fixed abode, died in the collision which involved a black Volkswagen Touran and happened at about 9.15pm on Friday August 22.
Senior Coroner for North and East Cambridgeshire, William Morris, said the cause of death was provisionally given as multiple injuries.
A man walking with the female pedestrian has been helping police work out what caused the fatal collision.
The woman died when she was in a collision with a black Volkswagen Touran on the A47 between the Begdale roundabout and the Elme Hall Hotel.
You may also want to watch:
The car had been travelling east on the Wisbech bypass.
The collision happened on the eastbound carriageway at around 9pm and the road remained closed for five hours for forensic accident investigators to complete their inquiries.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 3 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 4 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 9 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
The A1101 at Elm and the B198 at Wisbech, where the incident took place, is near to the Cambridgeshire/Norfolk border and firefighters from both counties were called to the scene.
A police spokesman would only confirm this week that the female pedestrian, believed to be from Eastern Europe, was with a man when the collision happened.
A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service said: “We were called to the incident at 9.08pm. We sent several resources to the scene including two ambulances. However, one woman was confirmed dead at the scene.”
The police spokesman said details were released now that next of kin in her home country had been found and notified.