Witness describes ‘horrific bang’ in crash which killed pedestrian on Fens road
- Credit: Archant
Police will today continue investigations into a crash in which a pedestrian died after being struck by a van as he walked along a road in the Fens.
A resident who lives near the scene in Wisbech described the moment he heard a “horrific bang” and rushed outside to find the man by the side of the road after being hit by a delivery van.
Police confirmed that the pedestrian, a man in his 20s and thought to be from Lithuania, later died from his injuries. The collision happened near the Scarfield Lane junction on the Outwell Road/A1101 on Sunday evening.
“I looked over my fence and saw the van driver had slowed down and stopped,” said the local resident. “The driver told me ‘I’ve just hit someone’ and he went back to see what had happened.”
The man added: “The driver said the man just stumbled in front of him.
You may also want to watch:
“He said he called the emergency services and both the police and ambulance service were on the scene quickly.
“The young man was walking towards Wisbech on the A1101 and in the road,” said the resident.
- 1 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 2 Vicar's concerns over 'hugely vulnerable' rough sleepers
- 3 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 5 Rural crime police recover dog in ‘poor state’ while on site check
- 6 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 7 110-year-old church gates reappear following £400 makeover
- 8 Domestic abuse survivor speaks out on 'reign of terror'
- 9 Police hunt homemade go-kart ‘causing anti-social behaviour’
- 10 £2,000 boost gives Saints a solid restart from lockdown
“Credit to the van driver – as soon as it happened, he went straight back to help find the man who was lying in long grass alongside the road.”
The crash happened shortly before 8pm on Sunday and the road was closed for four hours.
A Norfolk police spokesman said: “The injured pedestrian was taken to hospital but has since died as a result of his injuries.”
Anyone with information should contact the Serious Collision Investigation Team on 101.