WISBECH: Urgent talks under way to get �50 million contract back on line after firm collapses
URGENT talks may result in work re-starting on a �50 million, 14,500 square metre cold store in Wisbech that could bring up to 35 jobs to the town. Builders stopped work on the Boleness Road site when Wrekin – one of the biggest construction firms in the
URGENT talks may result in work re-starting on a �50 million, 14,500 square metre cold store in Wisbech that could bring up to 35 jobs to the town.
Builders stopped work on the Boleness Road site when Wrekin - one of the biggest construction firms in the UK -- went into administration.
But Partner Logistics - who have commissioned the building of the largest cold store in East Anglia - has got contractors together in a bid to get work started again.
"Sub contractors stopped working when they did not receive any money," said Jan Marynissen, acting project manager for Partner Logistics.
You may also want to watch:
"The companies are losing a lot of money because of the problems," said Mr Marynissen. "We have lost five or six weeks work.
"We appreciate that contractors are losing money, but what can we do? We cannot pay them twice. We are trying to reach an agreement to get them back on site, and to stop their losses."
- 1 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 2 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 3 Cannabis worth over £656,000 uncovered in Fen village
- 4 'Gone but never forgotten' - tributes left by lake where man drowned
- 5 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
- 6 A141 closed at roundabout after lorry overturns
- 7 Floral tributes laid for man killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 8 Mum shares her experience in call for IVF to be reinstated
- 9 Jeremy Corbyn to speak at King's Lynn hospital rally
- 10 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
If work starts next week, Mr Marynissen says between 35 and 40 workers will be on site, and by the summer around 250 people could be working on the project
"Our company has now taken over the role from Wrekin as principal contractors," he said. "We paid Wrekin a certain amount of money, but they did not pay the sub contractors. We are now trying to find a solution, to get them back on site again."
Workers from MJS Construction (March) Ltd and Roger Bullivant had been working on site.
On Tuesday, two men who plundered the abandoned site by stealing �5,000 worth of building materials appeared at Wisbech courthouse and admitted theft.
The new Wisbech plant is described as a 77,000 pallet location with deep freeze storage for potatoes, frozen vegetables, fish and convenience foods. It will be 35 metres high, and have a 14,500 square metre footprint. Work started last November, and is due to be complete before Christmas.