Wisbech unattended bonfire spreads out of control, prompting fire service warning

PUBLISHED: 12:15 14 August 2015

Archant

Fire chiefs have issued a warning after an unattended bonfire spread out of control last night.

At 8.38pm, a crew from Wisbech was called to a fire in the open in Redmoor Lane, Wisbech.

A medium-sized bonfire had been left unattended and firefighters used hose reels to extinguish it.

The crew returned to station by 9.25pm.

The cause of the fire was accidental.

A CFRS spokesman said: “Bonfires can quickly become out of control and spread to houses, trees and fencing - especially when they’re left unattended.

“We would advise anyone to avoid having a bonfire and instead take material to a local waste and recycling site.

“If you do choose to have a bonfire, then ensure it is built well away from trees, foliage and other property.

“Pay attention to the weather, including wind direction, and never leave it unattended.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Wisbech Standard