Wisbech unattended bonfire spreads out of control, prompting fire service warning
PUBLISHED: 12:15 14 August 2015
Fire chiefs have issued a warning after an unattended bonfire spread out of control last night.
At 8.38pm, a crew from Wisbech was called to a fire in the open in Redmoor Lane, Wisbech.
A medium-sized bonfire had been left unattended and firefighters used hose reels to extinguish it.
The crew returned to station by 9.25pm.
The cause of the fire was accidental.
A CFRS spokesman said: “Bonfires can quickly become out of control and spread to houses, trees and fencing - especially when they’re left unattended.
“We would advise anyone to avoid having a bonfire and instead take material to a local waste and recycling site.
“If you do choose to have a bonfire, then ensure it is built well away from trees, foliage and other property.
“Pay attention to the weather, including wind direction, and never leave it unattended.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Wisbech Standard. Click the link in the orange box below for details.