WISBECH: Theft of cream cakes was not the most nutritious thing to steal, solicitor tells court
A SHOPLIFTER was described by his solicitor as not a very bright criminal after admitting stealing cream cakes. They are not the most nutritious thing to take, said John Clarke. He took the cakes because he had no money. Ben Hales was jailed for a t
A SHOPLIFTER was described by his solicitor as "not a very bright criminal" after admitting stealing cream cakes.
"They are not the most nutritious thing to take," said John Clarke. "He took the cakes because he had no money."
Ben Hales was jailed for a total of 37 days, seven days for stealing a CD and cream cakes worth �10.65 from Asda and 30 days for an outstanding sentence.
Hales, 21, of High Road, Gorefield, told police he had walked into Wisbech to buy the CD for a friend, but had left his wallet and keys at home, so decided to steal the items.
At one stage during's Tuesday's hearing, Hales was put in contempt of court when his noisy protest in the cells at Wisbech courthouse disrupted proceedings in the courtroom above.
Hales was furious to be told he could be jailed and when taken back to the cells shouted and banged on a door so loudly that his protest could be heard by magistrates.
- 1 Recap: Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 2 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 3 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 4 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
- 5 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 6 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 7 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 8 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 9 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 10 ‘Sudden death’ reported at Nene and Ramnoth School in Wisbech
Hales refused to be brought back into court, but he later apologised for his behaviour and purged his contempt.
Hales was jailed for a total of 37 days, seven days for stealing a CD and cream cakes worth �10.65 from the Asda store in Wisbech on June 8, and 30 days for an outstanding sentence.