WISBECH: Theft of cream cakes was not the most nutritious thing to steal, solicitor tells court
A SHOPLIFTER was described by his solicitor as not a very bright criminal after admitting stealing cream cakes. They are not the most nutritious thing to take, said John Clarke. He took the cakes because he had no money. Ben Hales was jailed for a t
A SHOPLIFTER was described by his solicitor as "not a very bright criminal" after admitting stealing cream cakes.
"They are not the most nutritious thing to take," said John Clarke. "He took the cakes because he had no money."
Ben Hales was jailed for a total of 37 days, seven days for stealing a CD and cream cakes worth �10.65 from Asda and 30 days for an outstanding sentence.
Hales, 21, of High Road, Gorefield, told police he had walked into Wisbech to buy the CD for a friend, but had left his wallet and keys at home, so decided to steal the items.
You may also want to watch:
At one stage during's Tuesday's hearing, Hales was put in contempt of court when his noisy protest in the cells at Wisbech courthouse disrupted proceedings in the courtroom above.
Hales was furious to be told he could be jailed and when taken back to the cells shouted and banged on a door so loudly that his protest could be heard by magistrates.
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 3 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 4 Octavia Hill’s Birthplace House gets share of £1.57billion fund
- 5 Stronger bonds can be key to success, believes Fenmen boss
- 6 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 7 ‘Numerous’ number plate thefts reported to police across region
- 8 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 9 Restaurant launches bright pink ‘selfie areas’ ahead of reopening
- 10 Businesses reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
Hales refused to be brought back into court, but he later apologised for his behaviour and purged his contempt.
Hales was jailed for a total of 37 days, seven days for stealing a CD and cream cakes worth �10.65 from the Asda store in Wisbech on June 8, and 30 days for an outstanding sentence.