WISBECH: Theft of cream cakes was not the most nutritious thing to steal, solicitor tells court
A SHOPLIFTER was described by his solicitor as not a very bright criminal after admitting stealing cream cakes. They are not the most nutritious thing to take, said John Clarke. He took the cakes because he had no money. Ben Hales was jailed for a t
A SHOPLIFTER was described by his solicitor as "not a very bright criminal" after admitting stealing cream cakes.
"They are not the most nutritious thing to take," said John Clarke. "He took the cakes because he had no money."
Ben Hales was jailed for a total of 37 days, seven days for stealing a CD and cream cakes worth �10.65 from Asda and 30 days for an outstanding sentence.
Hales, 21, of High Road, Gorefield, told police he had walked into Wisbech to buy the CD for a friend, but had left his wallet and keys at home, so decided to steal the items.
At one stage during's Tuesday's hearing, Hales was put in contempt of court when his noisy protest in the cells at Wisbech courthouse disrupted proceedings in the courtroom above.
Hales was furious to be told he could be jailed and when taken back to the cells shouted and banged on a door so loudly that his protest could be heard by magistrates.
- 1 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 2 New £566k convenience store opens creating 12 jobs
- 3 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 4 Family's tribute to 'much-loved' and 'fun-loving' A1198 crash victim
- 5 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 6 Clinical Diss left singing in the rain as Saints rue positive display
- 7 Village life, magistrate in court for failing to clear snow and forced landing
- 8 Developer claims 109-home estate would be 'wholly appropriate'
- 9 You hope for a silver lining - and this wondrous tree is it
- 10 Convenience store transformed thanks to £116k facelift
Hales refused to be brought back into court, but he later apologised for his behaviour and purged his contempt.
Hales was jailed for a total of 37 days, seven days for stealing a CD and cream cakes worth �10.65 from the Asda store in Wisbech on June 8, and 30 days for an outstanding sentence.