WISBECH: Theft of cream cakes was not the most nutritious thing to steal, solicitor tells court
A SHOPLIFTER was described by his solicitor as not a very bright criminal after admitting stealing cream cakes. They are not the most nutritious thing to take, said John Clarke. He took the cakes because he had no money. Ben Hales was jailed for a t
A SHOPLIFTER was described by his solicitor as "not a very bright criminal" after admitting stealing cream cakes.
"They are not the most nutritious thing to take," said John Clarke. "He took the cakes because he had no money."
Ben Hales was jailed for a total of 37 days, seven days for stealing a CD and cream cakes worth �10.65 from Asda and 30 days for an outstanding sentence.
Hales, 21, of High Road, Gorefield, told police he had walked into Wisbech to buy the CD for a friend, but had left his wallet and keys at home, so decided to steal the items.
You may also want to watch:
At one stage during's Tuesday's hearing, Hales was put in contempt of court when his noisy protest in the cells at Wisbech courthouse disrupted proceedings in the courtroom above.
Hales was furious to be told he could be jailed and when taken back to the cells shouted and banged on a door so loudly that his protest could be heard by magistrates.
- 1 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 2 Worst road in Fenland? You'd better believe it
- 3 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 4 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 5 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 6 Nail bars and car washes targeted in modern day slavery checks
- 7 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 8 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 9 'Every number is a lost life' - Worst Covid affected care homes in Cambs
- 10 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
Hales refused to be brought back into court, but he later apologised for his behaviour and purged his contempt.
Hales was jailed for a total of 37 days, seven days for stealing a CD and cream cakes worth �10.65 from the Asda store in Wisbech on June 8, and 30 days for an outstanding sentence.