WISBECH: Tesco forced to close for two hours after Lidl road works spark a gas leak scare
A WISBECH supermarket had to close for two hours today - and lock in its customers and staff- after workmen racing to get a rival supermarket open on time caused a gas scare. Lidl hope to open a smaller, rival supermarket near to Tesco next month but have been dogged with delays for much of th
A WISBECH supermarket had to close for two hours today after workmen racing to get a rival supermarket open on time caused a gas scare.
Lidl hope to open a smaller, rival supermarket near to Tesco next month but have been dogged with delays for much of the year over roads access.
Workmen putting the finishing touches to a roundabout outside of the new Lidl store on Cromwell Road burst a pipe on the Sandown Road section.
Police and fire-fighters were sent to the scene at around 10.20am and the area was cordoned off and the nearby Cromwell Road was closed.
You may also want to watch:
Police confirmed that the situation has now been resolved and the area was opened up just before noon.
Tesco duty manager Kevin Chestnutt said: "We closed the doors for about two hours, on the advice of the police but everything is back to normal now.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 3 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 4 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 5 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 6 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 7 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 8 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 9 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 10 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
"I'd like to thank the police and the fire service for their help on this matter."
Last week angry commuters claimed roadworks outside the Lidl store were causing delays/
County council officials confirmed contractors working on the new road configuration had been told to improve traffic management.