Wisbech store forced to close after ‘mystery fire’ strikes shop front

PUBLISHED: 12:34 09 May 2011

The O2 store in Wisbech was forced to close on Saturday when fire struck the shop front.

The O2 store in Wisbech was forced to close on Saturday when fire struck the shop front.

Archant

A WISBECH store was forced to shut on Saturday after a ‘mystery fire’ damaged the shop front.

Workers at the O2 store in the Horsefair Shopping Centre were startled when smoke started pouring from the front of the shop.

Two fire crews ripped the wooden fascia away from the shop front and used a hose reel to extinguish the blaze after it was reported at around 3pm.

Shop Manager Sasha Rouse said: “We are not really sure how it started to be honest. We don’t really know what happened - smoke just started coming out of the front of the shop.

“The firemen pulled the wood off and it was all burnt inside. They thought that a cigarette might have been put down there and caught alight.

“The shop filled with smoke and it stank. It could have been worse if we didn’t see the smoke.”

The shop was forced to close while the property was ventilated and cleaned. The front of the store has been boarded up until repair work can take place.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Wisbech Standard