Wisbech store forced to close after ‘mystery fire’ strikes shop front
A WISBECH store was forced to shut on Saturday after a ‘mystery fire’ damaged the shop front.
Workers at the O2 store in the Horsefair Shopping Centre were startled when smoke started pouring from the front of the shop.
Two fire crews ripped the wooden fascia away from the shop front and used a hose reel to extinguish the blaze after it was reported at around 3pm.
Shop Manager Sasha Rouse said: “We are not really sure how it started to be honest. We don’t really know what happened - smoke just started coming out of the front of the shop.
“The firemen pulled the wood off and it was all burnt inside. They thought that a cigarette might have been put down there and caught alight.
You may also want to watch:
“The shop filled with smoke and it stank. It could have been worse if we didn’t see the smoke.”
The shop was forced to close while the property was ventilated and cleaned. The front of the store has been boarded up until repair work can take place.
- 1 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
- 2 Busy month as port handles nine ships in May
- 3 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 4 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 5 Couple swap healthcare for glamping with new venture
- 6 Campsite owner's pledge to conserve water meadow
- 7 Two mystery sinkholes appear across town during scorching weekend
- 8 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Free public transport app launched to help Cambs passengers