NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay officially opens Wisbech St Mary Sports & Community Centre
- Credit: Archant
The new £150,000 indoor sports centre in Wisbech St Mary was officially opened at the weekend.
NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay cut the ribbon at the new centre which offers football, volleyball, basketball, table tennis and netball, on November 11.
The centre has begun its new life after a 12-week programme to transform it from its former life as the Sunset Rooms, which was built behind the Railway Bell in the 1970s.
Throughout the 1980s, the room hosted dinner dances, bands, and even The Joe Loss Orchestra.
Paul Albutt, chairman of Wisbech St Mary Sports & Community Centre committee, said: “We wanted to produce a new facility for the benefit of the village and surrounding areas that would improve people’s lives through sport and recreation.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re trying to help people remain active within our communities. It’s another improvement to Wisbech St Mary and the surrounding areas - something that will be open for use to all of the community, young people and those at the more mature end of the spectrum.”
- 1 Suspected drink-driver, 41, arrested after tip-off from resident
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 ‘You now have s**t on your face,’ objector to planning scheme told
- 4 Police thank eagle-eyed motorist for being ‘right place, right time’
- 5 Man escapes ‘shocking case’ of modern slavery at hand car wash
- 6 Man who died in road crash is named
- 7 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in live Facebook video stream
- 8 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 9 Entrepreneurs’ lockdown invention wins big at London competition
- 10 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked