NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay officially opens Wisbech St Mary Sports & Community Centre
- Credit: Archant
The new £150,000 indoor sports centre in Wisbech St Mary was officially opened at the weekend.
NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay cut the ribbon at the new centre which offers football, volleyball, basketball, table tennis and netball, on November 11.
The centre has begun its new life after a 12-week programme to transform it from its former life as the Sunset Rooms, which was built behind the Railway Bell in the 1970s.
Throughout the 1980s, the room hosted dinner dances, bands, and even The Joe Loss Orchestra.
Paul Albutt, chairman of Wisbech St Mary Sports & Community Centre committee, said: “We wanted to produce a new facility for the benefit of the village and surrounding areas that would improve people’s lives through sport and recreation.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re trying to help people remain active within our communities. It’s another improvement to Wisbech St Mary and the surrounding areas - something that will be open for use to all of the community, young people and those at the more mature end of the spectrum.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children