NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay officially opens Wisbech St Mary Sports & Community Centre
- Credit: Archant
The new £150,000 indoor sports centre in Wisbech St Mary was officially opened at the weekend.
NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay cut the ribbon at the new centre which offers football, volleyball, basketball, table tennis and netball, on November 11.
The centre has begun its new life after a 12-week programme to transform it from its former life as the Sunset Rooms, which was built behind the Railway Bell in the 1970s.
Throughout the 1980s, the room hosted dinner dances, bands, and even The Joe Loss Orchestra.
Paul Albutt, chairman of Wisbech St Mary Sports & Community Centre committee, said: “We wanted to produce a new facility for the benefit of the village and surrounding areas that would improve people’s lives through sport and recreation.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re trying to help people remain active within our communities. It’s another improvement to Wisbech St Mary and the surrounding areas - something that will be open for use to all of the community, young people and those at the more mature end of the spectrum.”
- 1 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 2 60 care home residents and staff vaccinated
- 3 New owners of town centre store under fire for flats plan
- 4 Body of missing Wisbech man found in Norfolk
- 5 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 6 Man guilty of murdering partner's baby son
- 7 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 8 Vaccine roll-out begins, 12 hours a day, seven days a week
- 9 Coronavirus test centre staff ‘receive abuse’ from angry motorists
- 10 'Small number of Covid-19 deaths' at care home