NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay officially opens Wisbech St Mary Sports & Community Centre
- Credit: Archant
The new £150,000 indoor sports centre in Wisbech St Mary was officially opened at the weekend.
NE Cambs MP Steve Barclay cut the ribbon at the new centre which offers football, volleyball, basketball, table tennis and netball, on November 11.
The centre has begun its new life after a 12-week programme to transform it from its former life as the Sunset Rooms, which was built behind the Railway Bell in the 1970s.
Throughout the 1980s, the room hosted dinner dances, bands, and even The Joe Loss Orchestra.
Paul Albutt, chairman of Wisbech St Mary Sports & Community Centre committee, said: “We wanted to produce a new facility for the benefit of the village and surrounding areas that would improve people’s lives through sport and recreation.
You may also want to watch:
“We’re trying to help people remain active within our communities. It’s another improvement to Wisbech St Mary and the surrounding areas - something that will be open for use to all of the community, young people and those at the more mature end of the spectrum.”
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 3 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 4 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 5 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 6 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 7 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 8 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 9 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 10 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians