Wisbech St Mary Open Gardens event blossoms to success after raising record-breaking sum
- Credit: Archant
This year’s Wisbech St Mary Open Gardens event failed to disappoint after raising a record amount for charity.
In total, an all-time high of £5,029 was raised for the Alzheimer's Society, the highest amount in the annual village event's 16-year history, with over 600 visitors in attendance.
Ranging from Cambridgeshire to London and from three-months old to 97-years old, visitors came in their droves to explore the eleven-garden display, as well as an art exhibition at the church and private flying demonstrations at Fens Falconry.
Visitors also kept busy with nature quizzes, while others relaxed with homemade refreshments during live music from the Peterborough Flute Choir.
Jayne and Richard Walpole, organisers of the event, said: "We are delighted with the 600-plus visitors and overwhelmed by the support, with particular thanks to the eleven garden owners whose hard work was rewarded with splendid, welcoming gardens.
You may also want to watch:
"We were very pleased to include new gardens this year, including the school garden created by six & seven-year olds.
"We would also like to thank all the helpers and visitors."
- 1 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 2 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 3 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 4 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 5 Boy, 16, found with screwdriver in town park
- 6 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 7 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 8 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 9 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 10 'I hit brick walls' says guardian fighting for child mental health support
For more information or to take part in next year's event, contact Jayne or Richard Walpole on 01945 410772 or 07584 341160.