WISBECH: Special plaque unveiled to show Barclays Bank link with the Peckovers
WISBECH Society has unveiled a plaque on Barclays Bank in Old Market, giving details of its connection with local history. The private Peckovers Bank – which ran for almost 100 years at Peckover House in Wisbech – was a forerunner of Barclays. The first W
WISBECH Society has unveiled a plaque on Barclays Bank in Old Market, giving details of its connection with local history.
The private Peckovers Bank - which ran for almost 100 years at Peckover House in Wisbech - was a forerunner of Barclays.
The first Wisbech bank, run by the Quaker Peckover family, was first opened in 1782 by Jonathan Peckover at his general shop in High Street.
It moved 12 years later to Peckover House, which he named Bank House, with a banking chamber to the south-west of the house.
You may also want to watch:
The bank - known formerly as the Wisbech and Lincolnshire Bank - moved to the Old Market site now used by Barclays, in 1879. It was one of the many private banks that merged in 1896, to form Barclay and Co.
"We have been erecting several plaques around the town, and wanted the public to know about the bank's history," said Wisbech Society trustee Anne Elgood. "We were very grateful that Barclays made a donation towards the plaque.
- 1 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 2 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 3 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks
- 4 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 5 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 8 Man with rare heart condition shares how free location app saved his life
- 9 CCTV released after shopkeeper assaulted in robbery
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter