Wisbech Society continues winter lecture series with nostalgic photo display from Roger Rawson
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Society continues its 2017/18 winter lecture series with ‘More Photographic Memories of Wisbech’, at Wisbech Grammar School on Monday November 6.
After his popular presentation of old photographs of Wisbech in last year’s Wisbech Society lecture series, local photographer Roger Rawson returns with another virtual walk through the town, this time via its inns and hostelries, some still in existence, but many long gone.
Wisbech boasted 50 public houses, 12 breweries and nine spirit wholesalers during the 19th Century, and gained the somewhat unenviable reputation of having the highest per person consumption of beer and spirits in the area.
Roger’s crawl through his collection of old pub images is guaranteed to intoxicate the memory, with audience participation and anecdotes relating to the subject matter encouraged.
His talk will take place at the Dwight Centre, Wisbech Grammar School, starting at 7.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Admission is free for society members and £3 for non-members while under-18s get free entry.
For more information contact Paul Eden, Wisbech Society press officer, on firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.wisbech-society.co.uk
- 1 Couple 'treated like criminals' despite disabled carer Covid-19 shopping rules
- 2 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 3 'Bed-bound, my body felt exasperated' - reporter shares battle with Covid-19
- 4 Overgrown ditch ‘hasn’t been maintained for at least eight years’
- 5 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 6 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 7 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 8 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 9 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 10 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating