Wisbech Society continues winter lecture series with nostalgic photo display from Roger Rawson
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Society continues its 2017/18 winter lecture series with ‘More Photographic Memories of Wisbech’, at Wisbech Grammar School on Monday November 6.
After his popular presentation of old photographs of Wisbech in last year’s Wisbech Society lecture series, local photographer Roger Rawson returns with another virtual walk through the town, this time via its inns and hostelries, some still in existence, but many long gone.
Wisbech boasted 50 public houses, 12 breweries and nine spirit wholesalers during the 19th Century, and gained the somewhat unenviable reputation of having the highest per person consumption of beer and spirits in the area.
Roger’s crawl through his collection of old pub images is guaranteed to intoxicate the memory, with audience participation and anecdotes relating to the subject matter encouraged.
His talk will take place at the Dwight Centre, Wisbech Grammar School, starting at 7.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Admission is free for society members and £3 for non-members while under-18s get free entry.
For more information contact Paul Eden, Wisbech Society press officer, on firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.wisbech-society.co.uk
- 1 Missing dog found thanks to drone footage
- 2 Brexit blamed for plans to flatten Friday Bridge camp and build 100 homes
- 3 HMO plans submitted for village pub
- 4 Paedophile caught by cops after preying on 'teenage girls' online
- 5 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter
- 6 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 7 Drink driver fleeing traffic cops overturns before being arrested
- 8 Burnouts, revving engines and upset shoppers lead to dispersal order
- 9 Mayor to walk in high heels at sponsored walk
- 10 Five generations of family members meet up for the first time