Wisbech Society continues winter lecture series with nostalgic photo display from Roger Rawson
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Society continues its 2017/18 winter lecture series with ‘More Photographic Memories of Wisbech’, at Wisbech Grammar School on Monday November 6.
After his popular presentation of old photographs of Wisbech in last year’s Wisbech Society lecture series, local photographer Roger Rawson returns with another virtual walk through the town, this time via its inns and hostelries, some still in existence, but many long gone.
Wisbech boasted 50 public houses, 12 breweries and nine spirit wholesalers during the 19th Century, and gained the somewhat unenviable reputation of having the highest per person consumption of beer and spirits in the area.
Roger’s crawl through his collection of old pub images is guaranteed to intoxicate the memory, with audience participation and anecdotes relating to the subject matter encouraged.
His talk will take place at the Dwight Centre, Wisbech Grammar School, starting at 7.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Admission is free for society members and £3 for non-members while under-18s get free entry.
For more information contact Paul Eden, Wisbech Society press officer, on email@example.com or visit www.wisbech-society.co.uk
- 1 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 2 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 3 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 6 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 7 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 8 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 9 Mum caught driving with revoked license on school run gets car seized
- 10 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash