Wisbech sixth former Miles to become organ scholar at Sherborne Abbey in Dorset
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech musician has been made an organ scholar at Sherborne Abbey in Dorset.
Miles Maclachlan, who goes to Wisbech Grammar School sixth form, will work under the direction of Jane Missin, director of music, when he starts the role in August.
Jane Missin, director of music at Wisbech Grammar School, said: “Miles has a very clear sense of purpose, and has worked with determination to realise his dream of developing his skill as an organist at a top level.
“I am immensely proud of what he has achieved and this appointment is richly deserved.
“I have no doubt that Miles will grow enormously as a musician during the year and that he will be well placed to achieve success in his application to Oxford University.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the school added: “The post is open to organists from all over the country and Miles was up against fierce competition.
“Having being selected on the strength of his written application, Miles spent the day at Sherborne School at the end of February, where he was interviewed and auditioned by the director of music, James Henderson.
- 1 Woman threatened for not wearing mask describes fear for safety
- 2 Man in critical condition after single-vehicle crash
- 3 Fen farm on more than 200 acres of land up for sale for £2.2million
- 4 'Software error' blamed for town council election mix up
- 5 Podcast revisits the mysterious missing case of Terry McSpadden
- 6 Historian who wrote 126 books and spent 64 years bellringing dies aged 90
- 7 Five fire crews called to building blaze
- 8 110-year-old church gates reappear following £400 makeover
- 9 Heated dining pod and covered decking area at restaurant after garden makeover
- 10 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
“He will become an integral part of the school community, living within the town and spending term times as a member of the academic music department staff.
“The scholarship will enable Miles to focus on developing his skills as a both a soloist and accompanist. He will assist with training the choir for weekly services in Sherborne Abbey.”