Wisbech sixth former Miles to become organ scholar at Sherborne Abbey in Dorset
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech musician has been made an organ scholar at Sherborne Abbey in Dorset.
Miles Maclachlan, who goes to Wisbech Grammar School sixth form, will work under the direction of Jane Missin, director of music, when he starts the role in August.
Jane Missin, director of music at Wisbech Grammar School, said: “Miles has a very clear sense of purpose, and has worked with determination to realise his dream of developing his skill as an organist at a top level.
“I am immensely proud of what he has achieved and this appointment is richly deserved.
“I have no doubt that Miles will grow enormously as a musician during the year and that he will be well placed to achieve success in his application to Oxford University.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for the school added: “The post is open to organists from all over the country and Miles was up against fierce competition.
“Having being selected on the strength of his written application, Miles spent the day at Sherborne School at the end of February, where he was interviewed and auditioned by the director of music, James Henderson.
- 1 The Great British Sunday is a rush to the pumps not the piers
- 2 Frisson of excitement for Nissen as wartime hut sells for £169,000
- 3 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 4 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 5 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 6 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 7 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 8 Community group to review case of missing Terry McSpadden
- 9 Fenmen caught napping as Fenland sides suffer weekend pain
- 10 Body found in Wisbech road
“He will become an integral part of the school community, living within the town and spending term times as a member of the academic music department staff.
“The scholarship will enable Miles to focus on developing his skills as a both a soloist and accompanist. He will assist with training the choir for weekly services in Sherborne Abbey.”