Wisbech service will mark 70th anniversary of VJ Day, which brought Second World War to a close
- Credit: Archant
A service will take place in Wisbech to commemorate the 70th anniversary of VJ Day.
On 15 August, it will be 70 years since the Japanese surrender which finally brought the Second World War to an end.
To mark the occasion, on August 14, a civic church service, organised by Fenland District Council chairman Councillor Carol Cox, will take place at St Peter and St Paul Church.
A Fenland District Council spokesman said: “VJ Day provides us with the opportunity to remember all those service men and women who served, suffered and died. It is a time to reflect and show our respect to those who gave up so much for our freedom and to celebrate the legacy of a lasting peace.
“This year marks 70 years since the end of the war and 75 years since the Battle of Britain and we would like to invite all Armed Forces associations, service veterans, organisations for veterans and Air/Army/Sea Cadets or other interested parties to get in touch so that they can take part in the service.
You may also want to watch:
“You may know of people that would like to attend so we ask the public to look to their friends, family and neighbours and tell them about the event.
“We want to make sure that we have veterans represented at the service and would ask that anyone interested get in touch so we can make sure you have a seat.”
- 1 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 2 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 5 Owner's desperate plea - and £500 reward - to find missing dog
- 6 Nitrous oxide canisters no laughing matter say Fenland police
- 7 Rugby club fears vendetta after vandals strike again
- 8 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 9 60 care home residents and staff vaccinated
- 10 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
The service begins at 2.30pm. Tea, coffee and cake will be provided after the service. If you would like to attend, contact Sharon Smith on 01354 622281 or email firstname.lastname@example.org