Wisbech’s Rose Fair returns this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Thousands will flock to Wisbech as East Anglia’s premier flower festival, the Rose Fair, returns this weekend.
The flower festival theme for 2016 is ‘The World of Fantasy’, which will bring together traditional flowers and exotic blooms for a breathtaking display.
Rose Fair, which is one of Wisbech Round Tables’ biggest fundraising events, will be kicking off with the first carnival parade at 11am on Saturday 2 with all the money being distributed to local, worthy causes.
There will also be floral displays in three other town centre churches, each with their own particular theme and character.
Organisers said: “During Rose Fair the whole town takes on a festive atmosphere, celebrating its horticultural heritage.
You may also want to watch:
“The jewel in the crown is our magnificent church of St Peter and St Paul - which celebrated its 900th anniversary in 2011.”
Rose Fair began in 1963 when local rose growers sold flower buds in the church gardens to raise funds for the restoration of the church.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 3 Burger entrepreneur excited to reopen as lockdown eases on May 17
- 4 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant
- 5 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 6 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 7 Drink-driver blows over four times legal limit after ‘booze and cruise’
- 8 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 9 Lions commend cinema manager for lockdown volunteering
- 10 ‘This is not a puppy farm’ says breeder in response to planning objections
The Rose Fair is open until Sunday 3.