Wisbech’s Rose Fair returns this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Thousands will flock to Wisbech as East Anglia’s premier flower festival, the Rose Fair, returns this weekend.
The flower festival theme for 2016 is ‘The World of Fantasy’, which will bring together traditional flowers and exotic blooms for a breathtaking display.
Rose Fair, which is one of Wisbech Round Tables’ biggest fundraising events, will be kicking off with the first carnival parade at 11am on Saturday 2 with all the money being distributed to local, worthy causes.
There will also be floral displays in three other town centre churches, each with their own particular theme and character.
Organisers said: “During Rose Fair the whole town takes on a festive atmosphere, celebrating its horticultural heritage.
You may also want to watch:
“The jewel in the crown is our magnificent church of St Peter and St Paul - which celebrated its 900th anniversary in 2011.”
Rose Fair began in 1963 when local rose growers sold flower buds in the church gardens to raise funds for the restoration of the church.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Covid-19 numbers in Fenland higher than rest of county
- 4 Crash boy's mum says he's 'badly shaken but OK'
- 5 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 6 Stolen American-style fridge was lifted over 10ft security fence
- 7 First large-scale Cambs Covid-19 vaccination centres open this week
- 8 Ambulance charity first in East to transfer Covid-19 patients by air
- 9 Council books seven hotels and guest houses for homeless
- 10 Coroner records Wisbech teenager’s death as suicide
The Rose Fair is open until Sunday 3.