Wisbech’s Rose Fair returns this weekend
- Credit: Archant
Thousands will flock to Wisbech as East Anglia’s premier flower festival, the Rose Fair, returns this weekend.
The flower festival theme for 2016 is ‘The World of Fantasy’, which will bring together traditional flowers and exotic blooms for a breathtaking display.
Rose Fair, which is one of Wisbech Round Tables’ biggest fundraising events, will be kicking off with the first carnival parade at 11am on Saturday 2 with all the money being distributed to local, worthy causes.
There will also be floral displays in three other town centre churches, each with their own particular theme and character.
Organisers said: “During Rose Fair the whole town takes on a festive atmosphere, celebrating its horticultural heritage.
“The jewel in the crown is our magnificent church of St Peter and St Paul - which celebrated its 900th anniversary in 2011.”
Rose Fair began in 1963 when local rose growers sold flower buds in the church gardens to raise funds for the restoration of the church.
- 1 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 2 Man arrested in Wisbech after illegally entering UK three times
- 3 Man who ran 'fly-tippers paradise’ faces £32,000 bill
- 4 Pupils tell Ofsted school so good they don't want to leave
- 5 Man, 28, and boy, 15, arrested after major A1101 crash in Wisbech
- 6 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 My boss, the Prime Minister, is not a liar, says MP Steve Barclay
- 10 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
The Rose Fair is open until Sunday 3.