Wisbech’s Rose Fair 2018 raises £13,000 for St Peter and St Paul’s Church repairs
- Credit: Archant
Around £13,000 has been raised for St Peter and St Paul’s Church at this year’s Rose Fair and will go towards building repairs to “keep it going”.
Following a structural inspection, volunteers discovered that repairs, costing around £200,000, are required for the church.
A spokesman said: “A huge thank you goes out to every single person who helped to make Wisbech blossom and bloom.
“To all those involved the hard work was worth every aching muscle because the result was better than ever but there again it is every year.”
The event has been running in the town for 55 years and some of the volunteers at the church have attended every year since the start.
You may also want to watch:
The spokesman added: “We really need some fresh, new, young volunteers if we are to keep going for another 55 years.
“One memorable moment during the four days, and there were many of them, was when we realised that we had a visitor from as far away as Germany!
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 3 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 4 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 5 Not breaking news: Vicar with a vision, illegal fishing, workhouses and fork theft
- 6 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 7 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 8 Town rallies in fight for new hospital
- 9 Knife attack man jailed for 10 years over £20 'debt'
- 10 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
“Christian Wagner, Major of Nettetal, Germany, was visiting with Kay Mayor, chairman of Fenland District Council.
“So to all those people who came from near and far to support the event thank you and we hope you had an enjoyable time, please come again for Rose Fair 2019.”