WISBECH: Residents' fears that fly-tipping could encourage rat infestation.
RESIDENTS in a Wisbech street are worried that fly-tipping outside their homes could encourage rat infestation. An angry mum, who doesn t wish to be named, contacted this newspaper after furniture and mattresses appeared near her home in Chase Street. She
RESIDENTS in a Wisbech street are worried that fly-tipping outside their homes could encourage rat infestation.
An angry mum, who doesn't wish to be named, contacted this newspaper after furniture and mattresses appeared near her home in Chase Street.
She said: "We had this problem last year and it was a nightmare with two children under five. The rats came into our yard and were nesting in the shed. There were rats everywhere and we did manage to get rid of them but if people start dumping their rubbish here again we will have the same problem."
"The council says they need to know names when people are doing this but who is going to own up? It makes me very angry because other people pay to have their rubbish taken away and these people are getting away with it for nothing."
You may also want to watch:
The furniture was removed from the street by Fenland District Council's rapid response team.
The council says it takes the matter very seriously and will prosecute anyone caught fly-tipping waste. It provides a Bulky Household Waste Service to help reduce the incidences of people dumping rubbish.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Stolen French bulldog reunited with Wisbech owners 160 miles away
- 6 Princes win top food and drink industry award
- 7 Child rapist, 57, behind bars for sexually abusing three children
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
It encourages people to report anyone seen tipping waste. If you see someone fly-tipping you should make a note of the date and time, how many people were fly-tipping and what they looked like, the make, colour and registration of any vehicles involved.
To report fly-tipping email email@example.com or telephone 01354 654321.