WISBECH: Residents fear rats infestation after fly tippers move into the area
RESIDENTS in a Wisbech street are worried that fly-tipping outside their homes could encourage rat infestation. An angry mum, who doesn t wish to be named, contacted this newspaper after furniture and mattresses appeared near her home in Chase Street. She
RESIDENTS in a Wisbech street are worried that fly-tipping outside their homes could encourage rat infestation.
An angry mum, who doesn't wish to be named, contacted this newspaper after furniture and mattresses appeared near her home in Chase Street.
She said: "We had this problem last year and it was a nightmare with two children under five. The rats came into our yard and were nesting in the shed. There were rats everywhere and we did manage to get rid of them but if people start dumping their rubbish here again we will have the same problem."
"The council says they need to know names when people are doing this but who is going to own up? It makes me very angry because other people pay to have their rubbish taken away and these people are getting away with it for nothing."
You may also want to watch:
The furniture was removed from the street by Fenland District Council's rapid response team.AWW
The council says it takes the matter very seriously and will prosecute anyone caught fly-tipping waste. It provides a Bulky Household Waste Service to help reduce the incidences of people dumping rubbish.
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 New independent funeral service opens in Wisbech
- 3 Man on the run after stealing e-scooter from child
- 4 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 5 Two charged with Wisbech murder
- 6 Tories retain two Wisbech seats for county council
- 7 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 8 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
- 9 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 10 Wisbech boss confident of upturn in fortunes thanks to new-look squad
It encourages people to report anyone seen tipping waste. If you see someone fly-tipping you should make a note of the date and time, how many people were fly-tipping and what they looked like, the make, colour and registration of any vehicles involved.
To report fly-tipping email email@example.com or telephone 01354 654321.