WISBECH: Rescue crews in frantic bid to free pedestrian trapped under lorry
Report by JOHN ELWORTHY THESE were some of the dramatic pictures taken earlier today as the East Anglian Air Ambulance landed on the Freedom Bridge roundabout in Wisbech after a pedestrian was trapped underneath a lorry. The whole of the town was gridlock
Report by JOHN ELWORTHY
THESE were some of the dramatic pictures taken earlier today as the East Anglian Air Ambulance landed on the Freedom Bridge roundabout in Wisbech after a pedestrian was trapped underneath a lorry.
The whole of the town was gridlocked as paramedics fought to free the pedestrian after he was trapped for more than an hour underneath the articulated lorry.
The accident happened at around 12.45pm and although traffic was initially diverted away from the scene, the decision was quickly taken to seal all approach roads.
You may also want to watch:
Fire and ambulance crews joined the rescue bid and the air ambulance first came into land on the upper floor of the Horsefair Car Park.
However some minutes later it took off, returning a few minutes later and landing directly on the roundabout, just yards from where the pedestrian was trapped.
- 1 Bomb scare was a 'hoax' say police
- 2 Turners ‘massively impacted’ and Knowles up pay to hire HGV drivers
- 3 Body found in Wisbech road
- 4 Villagers team up to honour 'a real character'
- 5 Jail for paedophile who booked hotel to abuse three children
- 6 Travellers move onto sports field forcing football to be cancelled
- 7 100mph, 20-minute police pursuit ends with a crash – and later with jail
- 8 Police warn you may run but you can't hide from us
- 9 Latest phase of Wisbech to Upwell Tram Memorial unveiled
- 10 Hunt is on to find stags that escaped from farm
Passers by, including Fenland District Councillor Phil Webb, said this was an accident waiting to happen and expressed criticism of the traffic problems in the town.
Cllr Webb said he now plans to raise the matter with the council.
He said: "We have said many, many times this is not the correct place for a pedestrian crossing."
Emergency services worked tirelessly to free the trapped man after the collision on the zebra crossing in Churchill Road, near the Freedom Bridge roundabout.
Hundreds of shocked onlookers gathered at the scene and were pushed back from the incident scene by police as the air ambulance prepared to take off.
Fire crews from Wisbech, March and Peterborough attended the accident: investigators are still at the scene and have appealed for witnesses.
A police spokeswoman urged drivers to avoid the area or expect long delays.