WISBECH: Reader alerts this newspaper to rubbish pile close to travellers' site
A HUGE rubbish pile close to a travellers site in Wisbech is attracting rats and has become a health hazard, according to a Wisbech Standard reader. Our photographer Brian Purdy took this picture after the reader contacted us to alert us to the ru
A HUGE rubbish pile close to a travellers' site in Wisbech is attracting rats and has become a health hazard, according to a Wisbech Standard reader.
Our photographer Brian Purdy took this picture after the reader contacted us to alert us to the rubbish, off New Bridge Lane.
In a letter, the reader wrote: "It is like a tip and there is rubbish everywhere.
"It is disgusting you can see rats running all over the rubbish.
You may also want to watch:
"Every time I go past the site I can see the rubbish getting bigger.
"The council seems not to be doing anything about it. I do not know how the travellers feel. I know I would not like it at all. I would not live there, it is a health hazard."
- 1 Ditch crash victim seriously injured
- 2 Minor injury unit closes to allow staff to respond to crisis in the community
- 3 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years
- 4 Council offers reserved parking for elderly heading for Covid jab
- 5 'Big red key' used by cops in dawn raid on suspected drug dealers
- 6 Man, 39, convicted of assault on two HMRC officers by beating
- 7 60 care home residents and staff vaccinated
- 8 Body of missing Wisbech man found in Norfolk
- 9 New owners of town centre store under fire for flats plan
- 10 MP visits hospital about to become centre of Covid-19 vaccine rollout
A spokesman for Fenland District Council said: "For some time this has been a black spot for fly tipping, which is the root cause of the problem.
"A couple of weeks ago we cleared the latest load of rubbish that had been dumped there. Now we will go back again. We are also arranging for our pest control contractor to survey the extent of the rat problem to determine what further action may be required.