WISBECH: Reader alerts this newspaper to rubbish pile close to travellers' site
A HUGE rubbish pile close to a travellers site in Wisbech is attracting rats and has become a health hazard, according to a Wisbech Standard reader. Our photographer Brian Purdy took this picture after the reader contacted us to alert us to the ru
A HUGE rubbish pile close to a travellers' site in Wisbech is attracting rats and has become a health hazard, according to a Wisbech Standard reader.
Our photographer Brian Purdy took this picture after the reader contacted us to alert us to the rubbish, off New Bridge Lane.
In a letter, the reader wrote: "It is like a tip and there is rubbish everywhere.
"It is disgusting you can see rats running all over the rubbish.
You may also want to watch:
"Every time I go past the site I can see the rubbish getting bigger.
"The council seems not to be doing anything about it. I do not know how the travellers feel. I know I would not like it at all. I would not live there, it is a health hazard."
- 1 Rings End A141 closed after three vehicle collision
- 2 Pictures show cars - including Tesco delivery vans - queued at fuel pumps
- 3 Former mayor Aigars Balsevics must wait for verdict on pub fate
- 4 Former mayor begins court battle to retain pub
- 5 47-home estate 'beggars belief' says councillor
- 6 Showcase status for Academy
- 7 Motorcyclist dies in A141 crash
- 8 Crisis, what crisis? Panic buying at the pumps in Fenland
- 9 Drug free, drink free BMW driver crashes into wall
- 10 ‘From street dog to show champion’ - how Toby rescued his family
A spokesman for Fenland District Council said: "For some time this has been a black spot for fly tipping, which is the root cause of the problem.
"A couple of weeks ago we cleared the latest load of rubbish that had been dumped there. Now we will go back again. We are also arranging for our pest control contractor to survey the extent of the rat problem to determine what further action may be required.