WISBECH: Reader alerts this newspaper to rubbish pile close to travellers' site
A HUGE rubbish pile close to a travellers site in Wisbech is attracting rats and has become a health hazard, according to a Wisbech Standard reader. Our photographer Brian Purdy took this picture after the reader contacted us to alert us to the ru
A HUGE rubbish pile close to a travellers' site in Wisbech is attracting rats and has become a health hazard, according to a Wisbech Standard reader.
Our photographer Brian Purdy took this picture after the reader contacted us to alert us to the rubbish, off New Bridge Lane.
In a letter, the reader wrote: "It is like a tip and there is rubbish everywhere.
"It is disgusting you can see rats running all over the rubbish.
"Every time I go past the site I can see the rubbish getting bigger.
"The council seems not to be doing anything about it. I do not know how the travellers feel. I know I would not like it at all. I would not live there, it is a health hazard."
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Drink-drivers banned off the roads after being caught in March and Wisbech
- 3 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 4 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 5 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 6 Care at Home – because home (truly) is where the heart is…
- 7 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 8 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 9 Sex offender case adjourned due to judge's concerns
- 10 Man admits west Norfolk arson
A spokesman for Fenland District Council said: "For some time this has been a black spot for fly tipping, which is the root cause of the problem.
"A couple of weeks ago we cleared the latest load of rubbish that had been dumped there. Now we will go back again. We are also arranging for our pest control contractor to survey the extent of the rat problem to determine what further action may be required.