Return of Wisbech railway a step closer as budget of up to £1.5million agreed for study
- Credit: Archant
The return of the railway to Wisbech is a step closer after funding was agreed for a study into the reinstatement of the line and a new town station.
Yesterday the board of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority approved a budget of £1.5million - £1.3million estimated cost and a £200,000 contingency fund - to look into building up a business case for bringing the railway back to Wisbech.
According to a report which went before the board: “This is a major new study to develop a business case and single option design for reinstating rail services between March and Wisbech which should consider onward connections and connectivity to Cambridge and Peterborough.
“The study will also consider lower cost, non-heavy rail alternatives. The study will be carried out for the Combined Authority and will be procured and managed by Cambridgeshire County Council on its behalf.”
It is estimated it will take nine months to complete the study
You may also want to watch:
According to the report, Network Rail and other “key stakeholders” will be directly involved, and the successful consultant will be expected to work with all interested parties in developing the scheme.
The Combined Authority says the scheme is a “priority for the development” of Wisbech, especially given hopes to expand the town into a “garden town” which could bring 10,000 to 12,000 extra homes over 25 years from 2020.
- 1 'Horrific ordeal' of saleswoman tied up, restrained and sexually assaulted
- 2 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 3 Businessman slams council’s coronavirus grants in explosive live rant
- 4 Fly-tipped sofa second reported incident this week
- 5 Boy, 16, found with screwdriver in town park
- 6 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 7 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 8 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 9 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 10 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
The authority says better public transport is a must so as not to end up putting more and more cars onto the region’s roads.