WISBECH: Prospective MP calls for police to release report on Magistrates' Court and station
STEVE Barclay, Prospective Parliamentary Conservative Candidate for North East Cambridgeshire, has called on Cambridgeshire police to release a report on the review of Wisbech Magistrates Court and police station. Mr Barclay wants an open debate to take
STEVE Barclay, Prospective Parliamentary Conservative Candidate for North East Cambridgeshire, has called on Cambridgeshire police to release a report on the review of Wisbech Magistrates' Court and police station.
Mr Barclay wants an open debate to take place on the future of policing in Fenland.
He has already expressed concern that a phased evacuation of the site is being managed under "the flag of convenience" of health and safety regulations.
At a meeting with Dorothy Gregson, Chief Executive of the Cambridgeshire Police Authority, Mr Barclay asked for the feasibility report that outlines options designed to address the problem of the stairs to the cells in Wisbech Police Station failing to comply with health and safety regulations.
You may also want to watch:
Based on that study, Cambridgeshire Police Authority has opted to expand temporary prison cell provision to 13 at March police station, to supplement the six current cells in Wisbech, but only until the new cross-county super police station is ready in King's Lynn in two years time.
Once that is up and running, it is expected that the Wisbech cells will be closed down and the large majority of prisoners awaiting court in Wisbech will be held at the new King's Lynn facility, run by Norfolk Police Constabulary.
- 1 Businesses across the Fens reopen as lockdown restrictions ease
- 2 'I lived in the woods' - Suspected murder victim reveals five year ordeal
- 3 New offering can help 'encourage more participation in angling'
- 4 Council to report 'accumulations of tributes' to police
- 5 ‘The Duke of Edinburgh’s security team wouldn’t let him ride our tandem...’
- 6 Videographer captures lifeboat hoist at town boatyard
- 7 Fenland line-up for Cambridgeshire elections
- 8 Spectators to be 'kept well away' when 85m chimneys come down
- 9 Fully-funded place at grammar school's sixth form available for one pupil
- 10 All you need to know about the new Vauxhall Mokka