Wisbech Post Office reopens following system failure
Story by TOM JACKSON WISBECH S main post office reopened this morning (Thursday) after a system failure forced it to close for all of yesterday. Customers went to the Bridge Street post office on Wednesday morning to find a sign in the window telling them
Story by TOM JACKSON
WISBECH'S main post office reopened this morning (Thursday) after a system failure forced it to close for all of yesterday.
Customers went to the Bridge Street post office on Wednesday morning to find a sign in the window telling them the facility was closed until further notice because of a system error.
Their only alternative was Norfolk Street post office, where, about an hour after opening on Wednesday, customers were still queuing outside the door waiting to be served.
You may also want to watch:
Paul Childs, sub-postmaster at Norfolk Street, said: "It was hoped the shop was going to be reopened by lunchtime (Wednesday), and an engineer had been at the Bridge Street post office Tuesday night trying to sort the problem.
"It made no difference to me. In fact, it has done me well in a way because it meant I got more customers than usual and, therefore, brought in more money."
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 4 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 5 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 6 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
But, with his shop closing at 1pm, people in Wisbech were left without a post office on Wednesday afternoon.
A spokesman for the post office said the problem was caused by a computer and staff worked hard to fix the problem to reopen as normal.