Wisbech pet owners furious after reptile emporium closes its doors - after taking deposits from customers
- Credit: Archant
Pet owners in Wisbech have been left out of pocket after the owner of a local specialist pet shop cleared out his store and left – after taking deposits for goods from customers.
It is believed that Andi Shortland, owner of Fangtasia Reptile Emporium, cleared out his rented unit on Lambeth Leisure Park in Wisbech overnight on Tuesday, despite taking deposits from a number of customers earlier in the month.
One of those customers is Wendy Robinson, who put an £85 deposit down on a tortoise table over two weeks ago.
She said: “I’d been recommended to the shop by someone on the market in King’s Lynn, and I put a deposit down on a tortoise table worth £160.
“The owner told me that he’d order the table in and that he’d take the rest of the money once it arrived in about 10 days’ time.
“Two weeks passed and I hadn’t heard anything, so I gave him a call and he said that he was having problems with his landlord.”
Mrs Robinson, 35, then called Steve Seccer, owner of Pond World and landlord of the unit which Fangtasia occupied, who told her that the unit had been cleared out and Mr Shortland was nowhere to be seen.
- 1 Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 2 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
- 5 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 6 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 7 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 8 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 9 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 10 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
Mr Seccer’s partner, Vanessa Hunt, who works at Pond World, said: “He’s [Mr Shortland] been in the unit for no time at all.
“We’ve had some of his customers come into our store about it and we’ve had to get in some reptile food in case his customers need it.”
“He’s run up severe arrears and we haven’t heard from him for days. We will be taking legal action.”
Fangtasia Reptile Emporium opened in Norfolk Street, Wisbech, in October last year, before moving to Lambeth Leisure Park in July.
Mr Shortland was unavailable for comment.