Wisbech Park and St Peter’s Church Gardens keep the Green Flag flying!
WISBECH Park and St Peter’s Church Gardens are keeping the flag flying after being recognised again as two of the best green spaces in the country.
Both have been given the Green Flag Award for the fourth year running – official recognition that they are well maintained and managed and offer excellent facilities.
They are looked after by Fenland District Council’s parks and open spaces team with strong support from two community groups, the Friends of Wisbech Park and the Friends of St Peter’s Church Gardens.
Councillor Peter Murphy, the council’s portfolio holder responsible for the environment, said: “We are delighted to retain the green flag yet again in both places. To get this award year after year is proof of the very high standards we maintain both there and in our other open spaces. “
The national Green Flag Award Scheme is run by the Green Flag Plus Partnership, a consortium made up of Keep Britain Tidy, BTCV and GreenSpace.
You may also want to watch:
Phil Barton, the Partnership’s chairman, said: “I would like to congratulate this year’s winners, who have worked hard throughout the year to keep their parks and green spaces at a high standard and ensure they are pleasant and enjoyable spaces for the whole community.
“Access to quality green space is something we all desire and the scheme plays a key role in providing it.”
- 1 Empty Wisbech shop earmarked for slots and bingo
- 2 Suspected paedophile, 61, arrested in front of thousands on live video
- 3 Success after six year battle to get 21 homes approved on factory site
- 4 Matilda, 9, sold her dolls to raise money for charity close to her heart
- 5 Letters: Mayor's tribute, poem for a pigeon and letter release refusal
- 6 Three derelict cottages ‘would make an ideal renovation project’
- 7 Ex-glider pilot and education pioneer dies
- 8 Hundreds go bargain hunting in the sun at first car boot since lockdown
- 9 Man, 53, found in 'possession of knife' in Queensgate Shopping Centre
- 10 100 mile charity walk inspired by mum's breast cancer recovery
All the Green Flag-winning sites are eligible for the People’s Choice Award, which is voted for by the public. Anyone wanting to cast a vote for Wisbech can do so on the scheme’s website, www.greenflagaward.org.uk