WISBECH: Man trapped under lorry in serious collision near Freedom Bridge roundabout
POLICE and emergency services are at the scene of a major incident near the Horsefair Shopping Centre in Wisbech, in which a pedestrian is thought to have been seriously injured. The man is currently trapped underneath an articulated lorry near the zebra
ALL roads into central Wisbech have been blocked off by police, as rescue work continues to treat a man who was trapped under a lorry in a collision.
Emergency services worked tirelessly to free the trapped man for more than an hour, after the collision on the zebra crossing in Churchill Road, near the Freedom Bridge roundabout.
The air ambulance had arrived at the scene an hour ago and landed on the nearby Horsefair Car Park, but left only to return a short time later.
It is currently on the Freedom Bridge roundabout, while the injured pedestrian is loaded on board by paramedics.
You may also want to watch:
Hundreds of shocked onlookers are watching and have been pushed back from the incident scene by police as the air ambulance gets set to take off.
Onlookers, including Fenland District Councillor Phil Webb, have said this was an accident waiting to happen and expressed criticism of the traffic problems in the town.
- 1 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 2 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 3 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 4 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met
- 5 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 6 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 7 Food delivery service Deliveroo launches in ‘next couple of months’
- 8 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 9 Suspected drug dealers arrested in Wisbech raid
- 10 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
Cllr Webb said he now plans to raise the matter with the council.
He said: “We have said many, many times this is not the correct place for a pedestrian crossing.”
Fire crews from Wisbech, March and Dogsthorpe in Peterborough worked tirelessly to free the trapped man from underneath the lorry, using hydraulic rescue equipment.
A police spokeswoman said the collision happened at about 12.30pm and urged drivers to avoid the area or expect long delays.