WISBECH: Man trapped under lorry in serious collision near Freedom Bridge roundabout
POLICE and emergency services are at the scene of a major incident near the Horsefair Shopping Centre in Wisbech, in which a pedestrian is thought to have been seriously injured. The man is currently trapped underneath an articulated lorry near the zebra
ALL roads into central Wisbech have been blocked off by police, as rescue work continues to treat a man who was trapped under a lorry in a collision.
Emergency services worked tirelessly to free the trapped man for more than an hour, after the collision on the zebra crossing in Churchill Road, near the Freedom Bridge roundabout.
The air ambulance had arrived at the scene an hour ago and landed on the nearby Horsefair Car Park, but left only to return a short time later.
It is currently on the Freedom Bridge roundabout, while the injured pedestrian is loaded on board by paramedics.
Hundreds of shocked onlookers are watching and have been pushed back from the incident scene by police as the air ambulance gets set to take off.
Onlookers, including Fenland District Councillor Phil Webb, have said this was an accident waiting to happen and expressed criticism of the traffic problems in the town.
- 1 A47 near Wisbech set to close for seven weekends due to roadworks
- 2 Father and son accused of man's murder set to stand trial this summer
- 3 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 4 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 5 Teenager was ‘acting in self-defence’ when stamping on boy’s head
- 6 Father accused of baby murder blamed car seat for bruise
- 7 Man set to stand trial accused of teen daughter's murder
- 8 Second river crash in a week as driver escapes injury
- 9 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 10 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
Cllr Webb said he now plans to raise the matter with the council.
He said: “We have said many, many times this is not the correct place for a pedestrian crossing.”
Fire crews from Wisbech, March and Dogsthorpe in Peterborough worked tirelessly to free the trapped man from underneath the lorry, using hydraulic rescue equipment.
A police spokeswoman said the collision happened at about 12.30pm and urged drivers to avoid the area or expect long delays.