Ex-MMA star’s marathon fundraiser goes above and beyond for NHS workers
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech man has said he feels “very proud” after his marathon fundraiser to help NHS workers fighting against the coronavirus pandemic reached over its £1,000 target.
Charlie Day decided to launch his ‘Our Marathon’ fundraiser to allow those due to compete in this year’s London Marathon on Sunday (April 26) to complete a mile of any exercise before nominating 25 other people to achieve the 26-mile goal.
With the help of friends from as far as Hong Kong and residents from the Fens, the ex-mixed martial artist managed to raise over £1,300, and now, he wants to take his idea to the next level.
Charlie said: “Me, my partner and dog Miya set off at 6am for our first mile. I carried 20kg of weight in a backpack and dedicated the first mile to Captain Tom Moore and all military personnel involved in the fight against coronavirus.
“Emma completed 15.5 miles and I completed the full 26 miles on the day. We both originally planned on completing a single mile each, so I think it’s fair to say we went the extra mile.
“We had a few people get involved in the challenge and we actually did 156.5miles with everyone’s efforts combined.
You may also want to watch:
“We exceeded our initial £1,000 target, which I am very proud of, but I am even more proud of everyone else that came together and got involved to help make a difference.”
He added: “We are working on how we can take the fundraiser to the next level, raise more money and get more people involved.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Photos show grim reality of life on the streets
- 3 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 4 Verdict means former mayor can keep pub
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Antiques dealer's collection to be sold at auction
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 10 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
“Once this is all over, we would love to put on a #MYmile #OURmarathon charity event in the future in support of the NHS and care workers who were on the front line in the fight against COVID-19.”
To donate to Charlie’s fundraiser, visit https://bit.ly/35eiAM7.