Ex-MMA star’s marathon fundraiser goes above and beyond for NHS workers
- Credit: Archant
A Wisbech man has said he feels “very proud” after his marathon fundraiser to help NHS workers fighting against the coronavirus pandemic reached over its £1,000 target.
Charlie Day decided to launch his ‘Our Marathon’ fundraiser to allow those due to compete in this year’s London Marathon on Sunday (April 26) to complete a mile of any exercise before nominating 25 other people to achieve the 26-mile goal.
With the help of friends from as far as Hong Kong and residents from the Fens, the ex-mixed martial artist managed to raise over £1,300, and now, he wants to take his idea to the next level.
Charlie said: “Me, my partner and dog Miya set off at 6am for our first mile. I carried 20kg of weight in a backpack and dedicated the first mile to Captain Tom Moore and all military personnel involved in the fight against coronavirus.
“Emma completed 15.5 miles and I completed the full 26 miles on the day. We both originally planned on completing a single mile each, so I think it’s fair to say we went the extra mile.
“We had a few people get involved in the challenge and we actually did 156.5miles with everyone’s efforts combined.
You may also want to watch:
“We exceeded our initial £1,000 target, which I am very proud of, but I am even more proud of everyone else that came together and got involved to help make a difference.”
He added: “We are working on how we can take the fundraiser to the next level, raise more money and get more people involved.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 3 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 4 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 5 Fenland Council welcomes Covid-19 compliant free rock festival
- 6 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 7 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 8 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 9 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 10 300 take part in autonomous shuttle passenger trial
“Once this is all over, we would love to put on a #MYmile #OURmarathon charity event in the future in support of the NHS and care workers who were on the front line in the fight against COVID-19.”
To donate to Charlie’s fundraiser, visit https://bit.ly/35eiAM7.