Wisbech man charged with grooming offence following ‘sting’ by on line paedophile prevention group
- Credit: Archant
An audience of more than 220,000 have now watched the moment a 42 year-old man from Wisbech was confronted by a paedophile vigilante group.
The ‘sting’ took place on Sunday morning when members of the on line Hunters 24/7 group turned up in Wisbech to meet the man.
During a lengthy exchange – broadcast live over Facebook – the team challenged James Stuart Crofts with their allegations.
Hunters 24/7 describe themselves as a team dedicated to protecting children from on line grooming.
Crofts is seen on camera denying the allegations by the group who effectively placed him under ‘citizens’ arrest’. At one stage they are seen inviting him to surrender his mobile phone which is then confiscated and later handed to police.
The incident took place near to Crofts home and police later are seen arriving at the scene.
A Cambs police spokesman said today that “James Stuart Crofts, 44, of Milner Road, Wisbech, appeared at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
- 1 Main road through Wisbech town centre shut after serious crash
- 2 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 3 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 4 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 5 Lorry breaks down on A47 near Wisbech
- 6 Princess Anne waves from Range Rover after landing in Wisbech
- 7 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 8 Eye burglar smashed doors with brick and stole jewellery and chocolate
- 9 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 10 Tribute to ‘much-loved’ school worker who died suddenly in Wisbech
“He was charged with causing or inciting a female child under 13 to engage in sexual activity.”
Crofts was remanded in custody and is due to appear at Cambridge Crown Court on Monday, November 13.