Wisbech man charged with grooming offence following ‘sting’ by on line paedophile prevention group
- Credit: Archant
An audience of more than 220,000 have now watched the moment a 42 year-old man from Wisbech was confronted by a paedophile vigilante group.
The ‘sting’ took place on Sunday morning when members of the on line Hunters 24/7 group turned up in Wisbech to meet the man.
During a lengthy exchange – broadcast live over Facebook – the team challenged James Stuart Crofts with their allegations.
Hunters 24/7 describe themselves as a team dedicated to protecting children from on line grooming.
Crofts is seen on camera denying the allegations by the group who effectively placed him under ‘citizens’ arrest’. At one stage they are seen inviting him to surrender his mobile phone which is then confiscated and later handed to police.
You may also want to watch:
The incident took place near to Crofts home and police later are seen arriving at the scene.
A Cambs police spokesman said today that “James Stuart Crofts, 44, of Milner Road, Wisbech, appeared at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court yesterday.
- 1 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 2 Replacing pub with houses ‘effective re-use' of site
- 3 Two drink drivers lose their licences
- 4 Tesco staff self-isolate after being ‘pinged’ by track and trace
- 5 Mayor fumes over ‘amateur’ foster carers claim
- 6 7 places to avoid the crowds in Cambs this summer
- 7 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 8 'It could happen to anyone' - girlfriend of drowning victim speaks out
- 9 Family of man who died at quarry plead with people not to swim
- 10 Firefighters left tackling 'deliberate' car blaze for over an hour
“He was charged with causing or inciting a female child under 13 to engage in sexual activity.”
Crofts was remanded in custody and is due to appear at Cambridge Crown Court on Monday, November 13.