Wisbech man Arthur wins award for work volunteering for Diabetes UK and passing on his experiences of the condition
- Credit: Archant
A diabetes sufferer who dedicates his free time to helping others with the condition has won a prestigious award.
Arthur Smart, who volunteers with the Wisbech Diabetes UK Local Group, won the Supporting Others Award at the charity’s Inspire Awards.
The 66-year-old retired BT worker was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2006. He shares his own personal experiences to offer support and advice to others living with the condition.
He also raises awareness about the healthy lifestyle changes that will delay the development of Type 2 diabetes among people who may be at higher risk of developing it.
Mr Smart said: “I am delighted to have received this award. Diabetes UK has been a massive help and support to me ever since I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes so I’ve always been happy to give something back and of course it’s always nice to get some recognition as well.”
Sharon Roberts, eastern regional manager at Diabetes UK, said: “Arthur’s dedication and commitment to supporting people living with diabetes is amazing.
“Not only has he given countless talks about the condition and the work of Diabetes UK, he has also been the lead collection volunteer at our Tesco Big Collection Weekends.
- 1 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 2 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 3 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 4 Former Wisbech mayor Aigars Balsevics charged with rape
- 5 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 6 Cup winners, bumper crowds and an ex-England star amongst Fenmen success
- 7 Teenager, 19, on County Drug Lines heroin and crack cocaine charge
- 8 Dealer flees on foot leaving drugs, cash and his bike behind
- 9 Donkeys' grassland could be replaced with seven homes
- 10 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
“He is one of our most reliable, dedicated and ever present volunteers.”
To find out more about becoming a volunteer for Diabetes UK or to join a local support group, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01376 505246.