Bake off at leisure centre in Wisbech raises hundreds for Macmillan
- Credit: Archant
A leisure centre in Wisbech hosted its own bake-off challenge and raised £610 for charity.
The New Vision Fitness Hudson Centre held The Great Hudson Bake Off on Friday, October 6, in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support.
Cupcakes, sponges and cream roulades were among the showstoppers entered into the contest, which was judged by Councillor David Hodgson, vice chairman of Fenland District Council, which runs the leisure centre, and his wife Judy.
New Vision Fitness receptionist Cathy Bremner was named star baker for her spiced carrot cake, and a farmyard cake by ‘The Gingerbread Man’ Spencer Neilly was highly commended.
Leisure centre members and visitors also took part in a tea dance and raffle.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Michelle Tanfield, the council’s portfolio holder for leisure, said: “I’d like to congratulate staff at the centre for organising such a successful fundraiser and all the bakers who brought in cakes to help raise money for this fantastic cause.”
On Friday, October 13, the New Vision Fitness George Campbell Centre in March will be holding a bake off contest for Macmillan.
- 1 Homeless champion delighted as young couple finally have shelter
- 2 Frightened cancer patient with Covid relieved as hospital extend stay
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 The Queen Elizabeth Hospital launches Covid-19 patient helpline
- 5 Rough sleepers helped from tents pitched on private land
- 6 Cops 'cash and carry' raid nets 108 cannabis plants and £100,000
- 7 Council chairman urges people to have Covid-19 vaccine when offered
- 8 Environment Agency seize 52 illegal fishing devices from region’s rivers
- 9 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 10 Man charged with drink driving, possession of a knife and cannabis
There will be a coffee morning on the day from 7am to 12noon, with the bake off from 10.30am to 11.30am.
Anyone wishing to bake cakes for the event should take them into the centre before 10.30am on the day.