Wisbech Town Hockey Club pays tribute to former chairman and captain Graham Ward
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town Hockey Club held a minute’s silence in memory of the club’s former chairman on Saturday.
Wisbech and Waltham Forest players were united in silence in tribute to Graham Ward, who died last week at the age of 81, before their East Leagues Premier B Division clash.
Graham was well known for his love of hockey and was the club’s second team captain during his playing days in the 1960s.
He later became chairman of the town’s hockey and rugby teams – helping the club secure an Astroturf pitch at Harecroft Road – before going on to coach at Wisbech Grammar School.
He also had spells as president of the Eastern Counties Hockey Association and chairman of Cambridgeshire Hockey.
A club statement said: “Graham was a remarkable character who will have touched and affected many lives at Wisbech Town Hockey Club and will be sorely missed.”
- 1 Crowds watch as Wisbech lights up for Christmas
- 2 Pedestrian killed crossing road
- 3 Council’s final meeting of 2021 to include minute’s silence for those lost
- 4 Children among suspected hare coursers stopped in the Fens
- 5 Check before you travel ahead of major upgrade, commuters warned
- 6 'White van man' crashes into rail bridge
- 7 Michaela’s horrific ordeal: ‘My partner threatened to slit my throat and bury me alive’
- 8 Ex-wife of killer Colin Hill shares rape ordeal more than 30 years on
- 9 New £566k convenience store opens creating 12 jobs
- 10 Health chiefs call for action amid rise in sexually transmitted infections