Wisbech Town Hockey Club pays tribute to former chairman and captain Graham Ward
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech Town Hockey Club held a minute’s silence in memory of the club’s former chairman on Saturday.
Wisbech and Waltham Forest players were united in silence in tribute to Graham Ward, who died last week at the age of 81, before their East Leagues Premier B Division clash.
Graham was well known for his love of hockey and was the club’s second team captain during his playing days in the 1960s.
He later became chairman of the town’s hockey and rugby teams – helping the club secure an Astroturf pitch at Harecroft Road – before going on to coach at Wisbech Grammar School.
He also had spells as president of the Eastern Counties Hockey Association and chairman of Cambridgeshire Hockey.
You may also want to watch:
A club statement said: “Graham was a remarkable character who will have touched and affected many lives at Wisbech Town Hockey Club and will be sorely missed.”
- 1 Teenager, 16, threatened young couple with screwdriver in park
- 2 Lorry driver who died in B1085 crash named
- 3 Drug dealer hid £130,000 at home
- 4 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 5 Abandoned mooring could cost £50,000 to replace, says council
- 6 Residents told 'not to approach' illegal encampment
- 7 Bungling burglar confronted wearing stolen clothes
- 8 Father murders daughter’s ex-partner in 'frenzied' multiple knife attack
- 9 Hoax caller flouted strict court order after just three days
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed