WISBECH: Headteacher challenges the views of a national newspaper columnist
THE headmaster of Wisbech Grammar School has challenged the views of a columnist in The Independent who was calling for a Swedish education system. In a letter to the editor, published on December 9, Nicholas Hammond, said that it was to schools like the
THE headmaster of Wisbech Grammar School has challenged the views of a columnist in The Independent who was calling for a Swedish education system.
In a letter to the editor, published on December 9, Nicholas Hammond, said that it was to schools like the Grammar School that people in this country should be looking, rather than the Swedish model advocated by Michael Gove.
Mr Hammond wrote that it had long been accepted that a good education was one of the most important elements in social mobility and that he had the privilege of leading a successful school in an area of economic disadvantage, a school which through its generous bursary awards made independent education available for many families.
He said: "In the UK we have the world leading brand in education; our independent schools are the envy of the world.
You may also want to watch:
"It is therefore extraordinary that political parties of every hue chose to ignore the potential that these schools offer.
"The time has come for all parties to consider the opportunity that is currently available and give access to those who would benefit from it to this flourishing element of our educational system.
- 1 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 2 Widow of High Court judge, 77, charged with historical sexual abuse
- 3 Man suspected to have stolen '£300-400' of alcohol in store theft
- 4 Suspected drink lorry driver threw whiskey and wine bottle from cab
- 5 'Disbelief’ for disability centre after staff member’s scooter is stolen
- 6 Pervert filmed himself having sex with girl, 14, and then shared video online
- 7 Commuter chaos as van blaze causes miles of congestion
- 8 Hairdressing student is best of 1,000 after winning national competition
- 9 'Unreasonable behaviour' means Steve must pay council's costs of failed appeal
- 10 Class B drug factory discovered following British Gas search warrant