Lithuanian family’s car set alight and another vandalised in ‘dispicable’ hate crime in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
A car belonging to a Lithuanian family from Wisbech was set alight and another had its windows smashed and the word ‘Polish’ sprayed on the side in what police are treating as a “despicable” hate crime.
At around 6.10am today (Tuesday 16 January), in Jasmine Close, a Mercedes A180 was damaged and set alight. In the same area a grey BMW 520i had its windows smashed and the word ‘Polish’ sprayed on the side of the vehicle.
Sergeant Lee Levens said: “This is a despicable crime and it appears those response have deliberately targeted the victims because of their misguided views of their nationality.
“Hate crimes have no place in Cambridgeshire and we will not tolerate anyone who thinks it is acceptable to cause this kind of upset and damage to members of our community.
“We would urge anyone with information about those responsible to contact police. Any information, no matter how small, could prove significant.”
You may also want to watch:
Anyone with information regarding this incident should call police on 101 quoting CF0029400118 or visit www.cambs.police.uk/report. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111 or via www.crimestoppers-uk.org.
- 1 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
- 2 Wisbech nightspot up for sale for £410,000
- 3 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 4 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 5 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 6 A47 to close overnight near Wisbech for roadworks
- 7 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 8 Marathon runner passes through Cambs on route to Kathmandu
- 9 Rainbow alliance hoping to bring sunshine to the Fens
- 10 'Father' found guilty of murdering his teenage daughter